Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Panzerschrek Shield - fake or real?

Article about: Hi Guys Bit of an odd one here, I have obtained a Panzerschrek shield that seems to have some age to it, but which I feel is a fake put together, possibly with a couple of rusty parts from a

?

Default Panzerschrek Shield - fake or real?

Hi Guys

Bit of an odd one here, I have obtained a Panzerschreck shield that seems to have some age to it, but which I feel is a fake put together, possibly with a couple of rusty parts from an original, that have been crudely welded onto a plate cut and grooved to look like the main shield body.

Things like the 'window' slot show no signs of having had the attachment for the glass to be placed into, the clamping section for the tube seems to have been crudely fabricated and welded on, and the spare glass container is welded solid, based on some rusty original metal, but even the clip that closes this is welded on solid.

What do you think, am I correct?

Thanks
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzerschrek Shield - fake or real?   Panzerschrek Shield - fake or real?  

Panzerschrek Shield - fake or real?   Panzerschrek Shield - fake or real?  

Panzerschrek Shield - fake or real?  

Here's an original I own ( missing a few parts ) maybe you can do a comparison?
    Yours does seem to be missing the foliage loops ....?

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Panzerschrek Shield - fake or real?   Panzerschrek Shield - fake or real?  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

The problem is there were probably several manufacturers making these, all with subtle differences, but looking at yours it does seem to add weight to the idea that mine is a put together version by someone post-war, rather than original.

I can see mine ending up on the skip! LOL

I agree these were made by more than one firm. It does look very crude but the Panzerschrek itself was crude.

The pressed steel is quite a bit different from Dan's. Note the cut out areas look hacksawn. Could it originally have been the base of a metal container cleverly remade to look a shield with a few relic parts welded on?

?

That is what I suspect, appreciate your thoughts on this. In particular, I noticed that all on the pics I have seen of these the ‘X’ shape pressed into the centre of the shield always has a gap where the glass panel slot is, whereas the one I is a solid line...