Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Schmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifle

Article about: The other week I attended my very first militaria fair since the original lockdown began in March 2020, and it was so nice to meet up with dealer friends and see so many familiar faces. The

Default Schmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifle

The other week I attended my very first militaria fair since the original lockdown began in March 2020, and it was so nice to meet up with dealer friends and see so many familiar faces. The thought was always in the back of my mind that maybe some would no longer be with us because of the Covid. Pre-warned by my wife Pam, with: 'Don't come home with any more guns,' I had a good scout around to see what was on offer, and I was eventually collared by one of my dealer friends who immediately offered me a very nice Swiss Schmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifle at a price that immediately made me forget Pam's warning to me. The deal done, I set off home and examined my latest purchase. The other bits in the picture were sourced and purchased a week or so later. Click on all images to enlarge.

Schmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifle

The Schmidt Rubin was the first SMALL calibre straight pull bolt action military service with any nation. Although the Austrian Mannlicher came out in 1886, it was of a much larger calibre than the Swiss 7.5 X 53mm GP90 round. The action was smooth and rapid to cycle, and the 12 round box magazine put it ahead of its competitors. As well as that it had a free floating barrel which had a loosely fitting brass collar fitted just behind the foresight which rested inside the upper hand guard and lower stock. This increased accuracy tremendously with the barrel not being anchored to the woodwork.

Schmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifleSchmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifle

The magazine is loaded via a waxed card and alloy stripper clip which holds six rounds of ammunition, and there is also a cut-off so that the rifle can be loose fed with individual rounds rather than use the loaded magazine. There is a catch on the right side of the receiver which works as a cam on the magazine, the central position locks the magazine in place, the upper position lowers the magazine a few mm so that the bolt cannot engage with the cartridges in the magazine... and the lower position frees the magazine for removal.

Schmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifleSchmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifleSchmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifleSchmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifle

Stripping the weapon is fairly straightforward, a catch to the rear is pushed downwards, and this allows the bolt to be removed from the receiver. Although the bolt looks complicated, it is quite straightforward to strip. The ring at the back of the bolt is the safety catch, and pulling it back and turning it one quarter turn clockwise engages the catch.

Schmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifleSchmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifleSchmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifleSchmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifle

As with most rifles of that period, development was moving faster than production, and it was often the case that a new firearm was out of date within a few years of being brought out - and such was the case with the Model 1889. Its major weakness was the two bolt locking lugs situated to the rear of the bolt. This allowed slight 'wobble' to the front of the bolt, and in some cases the rear locking lugs were failing. Although the rifle only entered production in 1891 it was soon being replaced by the Model 1889/96 which was introduced in 1897. The only main change was to move the locking lugs further forward to enable the rifle to cope with the high pressure of the GP90 cartridge.

Schmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifleSchmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifleSchmidt Rubin Model 1889 rifle

The first pattern knife bayonet issued with this rifle had a nasty habit of falling out of its scabbard, and to remedy this the second pattern bayonet had an extra ridge at the base of the fuller. This engaged with a spring clip inside the scabbard and held the bayonet firmly in place. The serial number of this example dates it to 1916/1917. Like all Swiss equipment, both the rifle and bayonet are superbly engineered. The rifle is a firm favourite with many vintage gun enthusiasts, and with proper care with reloads it is a safe weapon to use. My example comes under the Section 58 category of our sometimes crazy gun laws. Providing I do not intend the fire the weapon - and just keep it as an object of antique and historical interest - I can legally own the weapon without the need of a licence. But should I decide I want to shoot it, I must then obtain a Section 1 licence.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

Steve,

Very nice ensemble. Love the clip and that leather frog. Thanks for showing. Rossi
    "It's not whether you get knocked down...It's whether you get up"

My Collection: www.tothehiltmilitaria.com

I agree Swiss equipment is always beautifully made.

Thanks for sharing the photos, and thanks for the information about the rifle. I am surprised that they were making 1889 rifles in 1916/1917, because I would have thought they would have switched over to production of the 1911 model rifle by then.

Oops! I reread your post and now understand that it is the bayonet, not the rifle that was made in 1916/1917. I guess I just couldn't get that fine looking rifle off my mind when I read your post.

Quote by Richard2 View Post
    Oops! I reread your post and now understand that it is the bayonet, not the rifle that was made in 1916/1917. I guess I just couldn't get that fine looking rifle off my mind when I read your post.
    That's OK, we all make mistakes. But it is best to read carefully what has been said before replying! As an aside, the next stage in the evolution of this rifle was the Model 1899/11, closely followed by the Model 1911. And of course there was the earlier cadet rifle and the carbine. As for the bayonet, it is the Model 1899 - which is the modified version of the Model 1889. Fortunately for collectors, the bayonet was numbered at the armoury, to the same number of the rifle it was issued with. And there just happens to be an excellent database of Swiss military rifle serial numbers which will give you the year of manufacture for the rifle and the bayonet. For those interested in this website, it is... swisswaffen.com

Cheers,
    Steve

?

#3, remember that also made watches!! called SWISS WATCHES!

Quote by toot View Post
    #3, remember that also made watches!! called SWISS WATCHES!
    You forgot to add that Switzerland also made knives, known as Swiss army knives, because they were made in Switzerland. And cheeses, known as Swiss cheeses, because they were also made in Switzerland... and other junk too. But personally I prefer the rifles, Swiss rifles... and all the bits that go with them. I never was one for watching the time, not even on Swiss watches.

Cheers,
    Steve

?

it is odd that you call all other items that they have contributed to the well being of the human race OTHER JUNK!!? I beleave that they are a country of people that stands out, no matter what they make!! jmho.

Quote by toot View Post
    it is odd that you call all other items that they have contributed to the well being of the human race OTHER JUNK!!? I beleave that they are a country of people that stands out, no matter what they make!! jmho.
    Toot... you obviously know nothing about me! I also refer to my militaria collection as junk. It is a word I use for many things in life, and my use of it springs from our English sense of humour - something that you Americans sometimes fail to understand. 'One mans' junk is another mans treasure', as we like to say over here. Like I said in my post about ALL Swiss equipment being superbly engineered, but maybe you missed that while you was busy reminding me that the Swiss also made watches!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast