Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

SS or 44 marking on SVT-40?

Article about: Hello, I recently bought a late 1941 SVT-40. a number-match (without the magazine) non-refurbished one. a model with which they started experimenting with the larger muzzle break and the ren

Default SS or 44 marking on SVT-40?

Hello,

I recently bought a late 1941 SVT-40. a number-match (without the magazine) non-refurbished one. a model with which they started experimenting with the larger muzzle break and the renewed rear sight. now I noticed something about the wood by the right side of the stock, there is a marking on it that reminds me of the number 44 or an SS sign. it seems strange to me to suddenly put the number 44 there, but since there are no WaA stamps on it, an SS sign is also strange. I'd love to hear your comments and opinions.

thanks in advance

Not very neatly done is it? But as long as you didn't pay extra for the markings there is no harm done!

Cheers,
    Steve

Pocket knife?

Do you think it was done in war time or post-war to add extra value to the rifle?

Post war done someone just trying to add value, this was arsenal refurbished after the war so there’s 0 chance of it being wartime done.

PRE
    ?

Agree, post-war fake marking.

Not an original marking as others have pointed out already.
    John

?

Apart from the low quality of the carving, while SS-rune marked items definitely exist, it is unusual to see only the runes. In most cases, they are inside a geometric shape (most often a circle).
    The rifle itself is otherwise great, if you did not buy it as an SS reissue.

?

Others on here know a lot more than me about this subject, but having read online over time about all the fake stampings out there on K98s (and others) with supposed 'SS' identifiers, I just avoid them, they demand a premium price over regular pieces and their provenance is almost impossible to prove.

As others have said, if you purchased this as a standard item and discovered the 'SS' markings later, then it is a 'billy bonus' but if you paid a premium for this with the seller, you may want to rethink. Fake metal stampings at least require some effort, but putting the runes in with a penknife to the buttstock is really a bit of a poor effort, and is unlikely to have been done in the field either.