Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Sten Mk 11 Trial

Article about: Further to my post several days ago concerning the reproduction Sten, I've finally got around to trying it out over the last couple of days. It's tremendous fun and much noisier than the vid

Default Sten Mk 11 Trial

Further to my post several days ago concerning the reproduction Sten, I've finally got around to trying it out over the last couple of days. It's tremendous fun and much noisier than the video would suggest. The best I can say about accuracy is that I can hit the target! having had more time to examine it, I am truly impressed by the build quality. I've attached a short video clip of me trying it out this morning. The voice in the background, towards the end of the video, is my neighbour trying to attract my attention!

Cheers,
    Steve

Sten on auto & repetition - YouTube

It really is a great looking piece of kit. You'd be hard pressed to tell it apart from an original at a distance, I'm sure. A bit of weathering, and it would look even more convincing.

B.B.

Brodie, when you pick this up and handle it, you could easily think of it as being a genuine one... you don't need to view it from a distance! And why weather it? The finish protects the steel. This is a common error of reenactors... they artificially age their guns to make them look more 'real'. The only problem is that 70 or so years ago they looked like what I have now! It took many years and countless wars for the genuine article to look worn!
    Cheers,
    Steve

I forgot to add... apart from 'slightly' alarming my next door neighbour, the test firing went very smoothly - and it also scared off the local wood pigeons!

That's something we often forget as collectors, I suppose. We're so used to seeing these things after decades of wear and tear, that it's sometimes easy to forget they were brand new once! If nothing else, it serves as a useful pigeon deterrent. Might have to pick one of these up myself, to stop our local ones crapping on our washing!

B.B.