Quote by vegetius View Post
As part of my PhD, I have a single 9X23 cartridge case fired from a Steyr Hahn. However, this one is from a Repetierpistole M1912/P16. The markings on it all indicate it being fired from an open bolt weapon, but the interesting part is that it was found in a firmly dated piece of stratigraphy that is 1916. I am taking a Repetierpistole M1912/P16 out to test fire it, and do a cartridge case analysis on the brass, it is to confirm the theory but only confirmation as several of us, 'experts' all agree that the assessment is correct, so the comparison is hopefully just to prove the point.
As these were only issued to Sturmtruppen which supposedly do not exist in 1916 it is an interesting question as to why it is there and who was armed with it.
Zoobar, if you know of any other provable reason why that might be there then I would love to know?

Regards,
R
I really dont know who has been using automatic variants, maybe sturmtruppen, maybe pilots, seems both are very possible because automatic weapons were rare in 1916 and pilots only had semiauto pistols for shooting other pilots and trench units need automatic weapons for attacking and clearing. This gun was 2 years before MP18 and Beretta so makes sense, it was the only thing