Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thompson machine gun

Article about: Just about everyone knows what a Thompson gun looks like, it holds a somewhat iconic status amongst collectors... and is a highly prized gun. Back in 1940 when we Brits stood alone in the fi

Great gun and description. It is my dream gun. There was one at the LGS I was at but way overpriced.
    John
    Last edited by Rescue190; 10-29-2019 at 02:21 PM.

Quote by Rescue190 View Post
    Great gun and description. It i my dream gun. There was one at the LGS I was at but way overpriced.
    John
    I have seen the astonishing prices they fetch in the States... even the parts sets sold by I. M. A. seem to be set at extortionate rates... and on top of that you have to buy the dummy receiver! I had a rather amusing piece of advertising literature sent to me by fellow forum member, Dwight Messimer the other day. Prior to the outbreak of WW2 the Thompson was viewed very much as a weapon of law enforcement rather than military. We in England viewed it as a 'gangster' gun. Click on image to enlarge.

Cheers,
    Steve

Thompson  machine gun

The one i have ordered has the fins on, it was one of two he has, originally went for something else ended up with this too, i will ask him for some pictures, my funds are not available for a few weeks yet so i have wait a little longer.

The Thompson was also advertised as a cowboy gun.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Thompson  machine gun  

Quote by Anderson View Post
    Interesting Steve. When was the Cutts Compensator dropped from the order specifications of the British purchased Thompsons? Some photos I've seen of NZ Army in North Africa show Thompsons with the Cutts Compensator and a horisontal foregrip, factory spec or unit armourer modification?
    I just came across this image on the internet. It appears to be a side-cocking M1A1 fitted with a model 1928 barrel and Cutts compensator. It was recovered - in full working order - by Suffolk police from the home of a gun enthusiast a few years ago. Maybe the barrel was added at a later date, but we will never know.

Cheers,
    Steve

Thompson  machine gun

Most likely totally destroyed now, shame really.

?

Great example...
    The carving on the grip is amazingly crude! It has an almost Cyrillic look to it...

Quote by Kohima View Post
    Great example...
    The carving on the grip is amazingly crude! It has an almost Cyrillic look to it...
    The gun that I ordered from the seller was actually different to this, I had a choice of five examples... and the one I ordered only had at the very best about 50% of finish remaining. I was quite surprised when I opened the package and saw this example, and my first impression was that the carving on the left of the grip might be Greek. It was only when I cleaned off all the grease that I saw the carving on the right side of the grip, and I came to the conclusion that it might be a second attempt at the initials of E. M. A... although quite crudely done.

Cheers,
    Steve

Thumbs up

Great thread, Steve - many thanks for posting the info and pictures. I bought my deact M1A1 20+ years ago when they were relatively cheap & I've never regretted doing so. The military-spec Thompsons are such an iconic WWII weapon.

Quote by Martin Bull View Post
    Great thread, Steve - many thanks for posting the info and pictures. I bought my deact M1A1 20+ years ago when they were relatively cheap & I've never regretted doing so. The military-spec Thompsons are such an iconic WWII weapon.
    Hi Martin,

Prior to my unit's posting to Northern Ireland, our battery was out on Salisbury plain. We were gathered in a circle not far from a brick wall which contained various objects in front of it, one being a flack jacket on a post. First there was a demonstration of various IRA weapons being fired (over our heads) to get us used to the various sounds of the different weapons... there was no mistaking the Thompson gun. The next demo was of the effects the guns had on the wall and the flak jackets we wore. The 7.62mm tore through the brick wall, while the Thompson shredded the flak jacket....

Cheers,
    Steve

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast