Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Type 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope Hole

Article about: I picked this up a what maybe a good save at auction and the surface rust was terrible. Must have sat in a basement or garage for a long time. I do not have any history behind it. Also came

Default Type 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope Hole

I picked this up a what maybe a good save at auction and the surface rust was terrible. Must have sat in a basement or garage for a long time. I do not have any history behind it. Also came with a Japanese civil defense helmet. This would be the latest production I own and boy is it rough. Shows the stress of late war production in every respect. I know there is a hole in the stock but is it original. It looks like to me but would like to confirm.
    Tokyo Juki Kogyo Series 27 if I am correct. The series kanji is difficult to read but shows up better on the pic with the enter serial number. There is some pitting but mostly surface, fortunately. The bolt, extractor and firing pin are numbered to the gun. The safety knob is not numbered. I could not find any markings on the stock. The barrel was plugged with grease on each end. I thought is was going to be junk based on the surface rust but it is pristine after removing the grease. The mum has been defaced but at lease somewhat intact. The screws are still staked.
    It came with a bayonet with a hooked quillion and a late war metal scabbard without knob at the end. The bayonet cross guard is also bent like the lug on the gun. It looks like this could be an original rope hole, a variation that I do not have. I have seen quite a few fakes but lack the knowledge and the books that I have lack information for me to be certain. Opinions would be appreciated on my description. Would also like to be able to confirm in the rope hole production time frame. Thank you for looking and all opinions are welcome.
    John

Type 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope HoleType 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope HoleType 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope HoleType 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope HoleType 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope HoleType 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope HoleType 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope HoleType 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope HoleType 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope HoleType 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope HoleType 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope HoleType 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope Hole

Additional Pics It is interesting to note there were two subcontractors that must have been at the same factory at Tokyo Juki Kogyo.
    John

Type 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope HoleType 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope HoleType 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope HoleType 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope HoleType 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope HoleType 99 Substitue Standard (Last Ditch) Possible Rope Hole

Great pics rescue! Boy I"ll say they made em rough towards the end of the war ! Can't believe the "chatter" marks on the stock. Also the welded bands. The barrels rough finish looks similar to a 44 BYF 98k I owned for a shooter way back. Thanks for sharing. Always interesting to see how the guns progressed during the latter stages of the war.

Rough as they were, the Arisaka was the strongest action of WWII bolt guns. Towards the end of the war the Japanese did cut corners on the aesthetics of the rifles, but they were still very strong and well functioning weapons.
    This one is in great shape Rescue Very nice find!

Incredible example of degraded manufacturing standards as a result of war. It cleaned up very nicely.

MAP
    ?

Wow. Ugly but a beauty at the same time.

A great find!
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Thank you for thee comments. The additional information I was able to find the production ended at 41,000. It is interesting to think that this was likely the last moth of production.. I did see a couple examples that still had the rope sling. I do not think this one ever had a sling applied by the crispness of the edges of the rope hole. It would be nice to find an original rope sling to go with it.
    John

?

UGLY IS THE NEW BEAUTY!! remember that! and it is in the beholder.

Nice find John.

Mart

Best of luck on the rope sling. Sounds like a pretty rare item. Milsurps sure have gone up lately I have noticed. Any talk of Type 99s always bring back the memories of my friends we tried with 7.7 Norma rounds. Mentioned it before but cost of the gun in 1972 was a whopping $25 at a local LGS. Shell probably cost half of the gun back then! Again thanks for sharing a rare example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast