Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Unknown firearm for a University project!

Article about: Hello people! So my professor at the Uni assigned us some objects to research on them and do a proper museum analysis on them as a task! Mine luckily is a firearm but I have no idea as to na

Belgium was a great gunmaking capitol in the 19th century (and it has a strong gun industry today) and produced thousands of different types of percussion pocket pistols in different styles and with variable characteristics. If you do a google image search you will see some of them

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=be...af0xnmrrH_M%3A

I think I nailed it!!! The Power House Museum in Sydney Australia gave me the answer! It is a belgian made one with a 9inc German bell mouthed steel barrel... It was produced in between 1810-1830 and its overall length is 22cm !!
    Attached Images Attached Images Unknown firearm for a University project! 

Fine, but that date is too early, the percussion cap system wasn't invented in 1810. They start to come in around 1820, and don't get going for mass production until the 1830's.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Percussion_cap

You're right! Perhaps the date that the museum has is a wider date for these pistols and perhaps the 1810 is completely wrong judjing by the info on caplock mechanism pistols! So we should pobably focus on the end of this spectrum... 1830 onwards! I will take some more photos today or tomorrow of the symbols that it has!

Default New photographs... Are they of any help?

So I got to the Uni and my professor provided me with the item to photograph if again!
    Are any of these photos of any help?
    I am most interested about the stamp with the letters and the crown...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown firearm for a University project!   Unknown firearm for a University project!  

Unknown firearm for a University project!   Unknown firearm for a University project!  

Unknown firearm for a University project!  

Any experts in helping with the stamp on the metal?

?

The closest I could find of that proofmark is a Spanish blackpowder proof ??
    JEDEM DAS SEINE

Brass pieces were quite often preferred by sailors and seamen as they did not rust. A steel rig would have been used almost anywhere else.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2