Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown rifle

Article about: I see. Thanks for the info. I would like to fire it but it looks as if a box of ammo would cost close to what the gun is worth.

Default Unknown rifle

Just wondering if anyone can tell me anything about this rifle. My grandfather gave it to me as part of his WWII collection. The only thing he told me was that it was an "Egyptian Rifle" whatever that means. I can't find a maker but there are a lot of numbers and symbols stamped in the metal. Unknown rifleUnknown rifleUnknown rifleUnknown rifleUnknown rifleUnknown rifleUnknown rifleUnknown rifleUnknown rifle

Default Re: Unknown rifle

It appears to be a Beaumont-Vitali Model 1871/88 rifle in 11.3mm x 51R Calibre as used by the Dutch army in the late 19th/early 20th century-the forewood appears to have been removed to 'sporterize' it.

ian
    ?

a very nice rifle and in very good condition ,, it looks to have some russian influences ,,i look foward to the guys who realy know helping you out on this one ,,and me ,, i can see so much the russian here IE the bolt,, the but plate ?? i dont know ,its just what i see
    cheers ian

ian
    ?

good one Lithgow ,, do you see a russian influence in this rifle or is it just me ??
    cheers ian

Quote by lithgow View Post
    It appears to be a Beaumont-Vitali Model 1871/88 rifle in 11.3mm x 51R Calibre as used by the Dutch army in the late 19th/early 20th century-the forewood appears to have been removed to 'sporterize' it.
    Looks like it

Beaumont Vitali

Thanks guys. I can always count on the knowledgeable people on this forum. The gun is quite a beast. Heavy. Anyone know what these appraise for or where to get ammo for it?

Not a particularly valuable weapon-listed in the 150-400 dollar range but the sporterizing will keep the value at the low end-the ammo is a black powder type. You'd need to find someone in the US to ask about ammo but I dare say that it would be available but pricey as the round is specific to that type rifle.

Can you explain what sporterizing means?

Sporterising means that the front end of the wooden stock has been shortened, in the civilian fashion. The woodwork would originally have extended to the end of the muzzle, this alteration lowers its value. I expect it would also have originally had a mount for a bayonet on the muzzle.

The removal of the woodwork also means the steel nosecap, cleaning rod and mounts for the bayonet will also have been removed-if someone wanted to restore it to original condition all these parts would have to be replaced and parts for a weapon like this aren't easy to get, other than by scrapping another example.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast