Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Unknown Rifle

Article about: I recently acquired this Rifle that I’m not sure what it is. It looks like a WW2 Arisaka type 38, but does not have the usual stamps or marking except for “95” stamped on the left side

?

Default Unknown Rifle

I recently acquired this Rifle that I’m not sure what it is. It looks like a WW2 Arisaka type 38, but does not have the usual stamps or marking except for “95” stamped on the left side of the housing and on the bayonet lug. Also it seem the is the word or name “OIKO”stamped on the underside of the hand guard. Too bad that the bolt/firing pin did not come with it. Any thoughts as to WW2, Japanese, last ditch, training rifle, another country, etc.
    Any help identifying this rifle and anything about it, would be greatly appreciated.

Unknown RifleUnknown RifleUnknown RifleUnknown RifleUnknown RifleUnknown RifleUnknown RifleUnknown RifleUnknown RifleUnknown Rifle
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Rifle   Unknown Rifle  

Unknown Rifle   Unknown Rifle  

Unknown Rifle  

?

I think you are on the right path..
    From a website, just for interest.
    Large number of Arisaka rifles, mostly Type 30 rifles, were captured by Austria-Hungary during WW1, mostly in 1915. These were issued to 2nd line units with original ammunition. Enough ammunition was captured that no conversion to an easily available ammo was necessary until late in WW1. When captured Japanese 6.5mm ammo supplies began to run low, some of the captured Russian issue Type 30 and Type 38 Arisakas were chamber reamed to accept the Greek 1903/14 6.5mm Mannlicher-Schoenauer cartridges. Modified rifles may have been fitted with M95 Mannlicher rear sight leafs.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Unknown Rifle  
    I'd rather be A "RaD Man than a Mad Man "

?

Interesting. So you think this could have been a WW1 Japanese Type 30 or Type 38 rifle, captured by Austrian Hungry troops and used by them in WW1? Do you think that a Type 38 Bolt, firing pin, etc would ft this rifle?
    Thanks for you input.

I think it maybe a trainer. Is the barreled rifled? Some of the trainers had smooth bores because they were reused to only shoot blanks.

?

The Barrel is rifled.

I agree with 08SMLE48 that it looks like a trainer. Two digit numbers and no Mum or model marking is also typical of a trainer. On the other hand, trainers were generally marked on the stock with Kanji characters to say "not for ball ammo". Check the cleaning rod; if it is just a short stub that would also indicate a trainer.

One of many different types of trainers IMHO, The kanji stamped in the stock in front of the rear barrel band from top to bottom is 0160, if you get a bolt for this rifle I strongly advise not to shoot it
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

?

I agree with you both. Also the cleaning rod is the short one. What do you think the 0160 means? Maybe the training school? Nope! No bolt or trying to fire it.

Quote by Obal7 View Post
    I agree with you both. Also the cleaning rod is the short one. What do you think the 0160 means? Maybe the training school? Nope! No bolt or trying to fire it.
    Could be a rack number
    "Only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries a pearl handled revolver"
    - General George Smith Patton Jr.

Interesting. I wonder how rare this one is being a trainer? Using some Kroil on the metal should make it look better.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast