Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wwii mas 36

Article about: I am not familiar with these accept to know that most I have seen are post war reworks. Long story short I have the opportunity to purchase it before it is sent to auction. It is in my posse

Default Wwii mas 36

I am not familiar with these accept to know that most I have seen are post war reworks. Long story short I have the opportunity to purchase it before it is sent to auction. It is in my possession and can provide more photos if needed. I would like to get an approximate value and any opinions, Thanks John.Wwii mas 36Wwii mas 36Wwii mas 36Wwii mas 36Wwii mas 36

Bolt and stock are not matching.Wwii mas 36Wwii mas 36Wwii mas 36Wwii mas 36

CBH
    ?

Here a good video about them, Forgotten Weapons also reviews these. https://youtube.com/watch?v=4nvQD34m9nQ&feature=share

PRE
    ?

Price will take a hit on non-matching components, but it appears that the numbering on the bolt could have been a mistake, 22661 as opposed to 22611. How far off is the stock? Is the underside of the forestock also non-matching? Any lined-out numbers on anything?

Pat

I will take a look when I get home tonight

Under magnification it appears as though the bolt is matching. There are one to many digits. It appears as though on near the center was some other mark or ding not an actual number and I was able to make out what looks like a lightly struck 1 at the end near the ball. The stock front and back is serial # H 98286 With the metal being # K 22611. No lined out numbers. It is my sons gun and I know he got it fairly cheap and that he would let me keep it for what ever I want to give him but I want to be fair. Thanks again, John.

Thanks for showing, haven't seen many good pics of this rifle type!
    Last edited by reneblacky; 03-22-2021 at 04:43 AM. Reason: grammer

PRE
    ?

I'm happy to hear about the bolt. Being a stock mismatch, the value is about half of what it could be if all matching. The bayonet (also numbered) is considered a component, but these are so frequently mismatched that many collectors overlook that and only 'count' the other numbered components.

If I had to throw out a number for one in this condition, I'd say about $500-600 USD. Pre-Armistice French rifles are certainly more desirable than anything that came after, and MAS-36 rifles are excellent shooters! The No.4 Mk.I Enfield would be my choice for a bolt action battle rifle, but if I was limited to a five round magazine, the MAS-36 would be the one I'd pick. They shoulder nicely, have a strong action, slick bolt and the rear (peep) sight is close to the shooter's eye, where it should be.

Pat

?

Pat,
    Just want to learn something on these,
    So was this type of MAS sent to arsenals for refurb after the war, Or is there another reason the stock doesn't match the rifle?

Semper Fi
    Phil

PRE
    ?

Phil,
    My (far from perfect) understanding of these is that they were upgraded over time to the later specs, essentially what you see on the standard post-war rifles. Before that, it appears that they were content with lining out old numbers and stamping new numbers to match. I have rifles and carbines that clearly went through some kind of repair/renumbering process, and this is seen throughout. French materiel constituted approx. 40% of the total captured foreign arms, etc. seized by the Wehrmacht, and they themselves repaired/modified/renumbered large numbers of arms, so sometimes the renumbering was done by them. This is apparent when you see components numbered that weren't numbered in original French production, along with other indicators like bluing of the bolts.

When it comes to a mismatched component like the stock, it's clear that it might have been switched by a previous owner or maybe even an importer, if the rifle came in as a more or less barreled action. Either way we'll never know, and some possibilities remain more likely than others.