Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Need help identifying an unknown award/medal!

Article about: Hi all, As seems to be the case lately, I've been offered a group of WWII German items. Most are easy to identify, medals, helmets, armbands, etc but one of them is not. Below are the two ph

Quote by thecyclist64 View Post
    This site, in German, should help you to identify the markings. I can't make them out from your pictures, as they will not expand sufficiently.

Mit Reichskrone, Sonne und Halbmond – das deutsche Stempelgesetz von 1884 | GoldSilberShop.de

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feingehaltstempel
    Hi Cyclist64, Thank you very much for the links, exactly what I was looking for. I am sorry for the first set of photos, that's all the seller had given. I asked for a close photo and got the one I've attached below.

It appears to me to bear the "crescent moon and imperial crown" fineness mark shown in the two articles. Also marked with 800 which would be the minimum purity for marking. This would seem, to me at least, to indicate that this is likely solid silver, seller says it's very heavy for it's size, and also likely period made? What I don't see anywhere on it is a jewelers mark of any kind. Looking forward to hearing what you think of this closer picture. Still not the best resolution, but the best she can do apparently.

My gut feeling is as unique as this item is, without any provenance to prove who may have owned it or gifted it, it's likely going to be hard to get more than silver value out of it? I'm still waiting on the seller to respond and tell me what she's looking to get for it. Thanks again for your input, it is greatly appreciated.

-Sam

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help identifying an unknown award/medal!
    P
    Many

An interesting item, appears quite well made. Regarding bullion price; It would have to be 3 kilos of .999 silver to cover $2500!

Hi Sam, I can only agree with the comments made above by Christek regarding the value of this item. If we look at the facts logically, we can come to the following conclusions:

1. Most, if not all of us, are agreed that this is some sort of bespoke made item based on a coin from that era.
    2. As a bespoke item, the value is not necessarily increased, in fact, it may have decreased it. If you knew the provenance and it came from some high ranking party official, then the price would be fine.
    3. The only items similar that any of us can find out there are coins which have a value of around 360 euros, not $2,500. An old auction listing can be found below:

NumisBids: Munzenhandlung Harald Moller GmbH Auction 63, Lot 3378 : - Allgemein Silbermedaille 1933 "DER DEUTSCHEN ZWIETRACHT MITTEN INS...

4. 800 silver is not solid silver as you have suggested, rather, it is 80% silver, which is poor quality silver. Sterling silver is 925 or 92.5% silver content. This English standard is considered to be far superior to the German standard.

5. The eagle attachment also seems to be unknown. Do we know what the dates 1933-1934 mean? I know Hitler was elected in 1933, but his tenure lasted until 1945.

In conclusion, I would say that this item is grossly overvalued. In my estimation, it would have to be encrusted with diamonds to fetch that price. If you like the item, why not buy one of the coins out there for a much more reasonable price.

Munten: Der deutschen zwietracht mitten ins Hertz

Германия. Третий Рейх. Der deutschen zwietracht mitten ins herz (копия) - <<VIOLITY>> Antiques

Hi Cyclist64, I completely agree with everything you just said. I guess I wasn't very clear with my last post. I meant solid as opposed to plated. Wasn't trying to imply that 800 was pure silver by any stretch.

I also agree that the price listed on the card of $2500 is completely disconnected with reality. With no documentation, no claimed history even, I couldn't see paying more than about $100 for it as it sits now. Even at that, I think it could be a hard sell to get my money back out of it down the road.

Sorry for the confusion and thank you for your insights.

-Sam

?

for me 100% fantasy

PNWcollector; It appears to be an adage that has some special meaning to Germans, and It has something to do with the year 1933-34, Hitler’s first year in power. There is a book by Udo Voigt, with the title, Der Deutschen Zwietracht Mitten Herz. Voigt is a far-right ultranationalist and former chairman of the Nationaldemokratische Partei Deutschlands, or NPD. You might be able to contact him and ask what significance the medal has. I think he is living in Berlin-Köpenick, but I don’t have an address for him. Here is a coin or medallion, with the same phrase for reference. In my opinion, the high quality of the item you are interested in speaks for itself, it is not a fantasy item. But it certainly is not worth $1,200. Keep us posted on what you find out. Dwight

Need help identifying an unknown award/medal!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2