Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Villeroy and Boch Mettlach floor tile ? Real of copy?

Article about: I have bought what I believe to be a Villeroy and Boch floor tile. Is anyone aware whether these have been faked? It was bought from Rad Militaria. I would appreciate any help and informatio

Default Villeroy and Boch Mettlach floor tile ? Real of copy?

I have bought what I believe to be a Villeroy and Boch floor tile. Is anyone aware whether these have been faked? It was bought from Rad Militaria. I would appreciate any help and information regarding these.

My concern is that I purchased this item but there is now another one for sale on the website.

This is the information I found on the internet regarding these tiles.

1930's German City Rathaus Meeting Hall Villeroy and Boch Mettlach floor tile. The history:
    During a renovation of a large city Rathaus, Town Hall, and the removal of a false floor in the meeting hall around 5000 of these tiles where found underneath. The workmen managed to take up carefully around 400 of them before a city official ''blew his top'' and ordered under supervision the destruction of the rest.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Villeroy and Boch Mettlach floor tile ? Real of copy?   Villeroy and Boch Mettlach floor tile ? Real of copy?  

Villeroy and Boch Mettlach floor tile ? Real of copy?   Villeroy and Boch Mettlach floor tile ? Real of copy?  

Villeroy and Boch Mettlach floor tile ? Real of copy?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Villeroy and Boch Mettlach floor tile ? Real of copy?
    P
    Many

Anybody?

?

I am no expert on floor tiles, but there are several offered for sale on the website, since 2022. Two, including yours, are marked as sold. Search results for "Floor tile" | Welcome - RADmilitaria

A normal floor has more than one tile, so I am not surprised they were able to buy, and offer, several of these. In my view the panel of 9 tiles is more interesting, as it shows the actual pattern on the floor.

I would be surprised if these were faked. You could ask Villeroy & Boch for their opinion, maybe they respond.

?

Hello, in my opinion, it would not be worth faking this. I think it's original. Regards, Peeloo

Thanks Peeloo, I just wondered if anyone had more information on them or photos of them when they were in use in the buildings.

Apart from the framing , this looks ok. I have seen other pictures of this floor where the pattern was more distinct, with separate little blocks in brown forming the swastika. But yours seem to be more worn and thus less distinct.
    Not sure why the tile was framed like that, but its impossible now to see the sides.

Thanks baerche; there’s a few more for sale and some without the frame. If it transpires that they are infact genuine I may buy more. Maybe they were infact used all over Germany at the time. It’d be nice to see some photos of them in place within the buildings.

The tile looks period to me.

?

Hello, check out this older thread: Swastika wall tile.
    Regards,
    Peeloo