Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Ancestry - 2.4million WW2 German 'Gefallen' Files Added

Article about: Ancestry in Germany have now added 2.4 million cards for those soldiers killed between 1939-1948 although I am led to believe that those cards relating to late 1944 don't exist but I have ye

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    With regards to Josef Hackl, it would appear that he died in a field hospital located at Dergatschi. On that same day and location there was another SS-Rottenführer (Franz Kaupa) of 2./SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt LSSAH who died. And between 10th & 13th March 1943 five members of Totenkopf died there as well.
    Not sure that can be assumed 100% unless you have his card. The results give some of those other deaths as located at Dergatschi and others as being at Heeres Verbandplatz Dergatschi. This might imply two different circumstances? One combat, the other hospitalised?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Ancestry - 2.4million WW2 German 'Gefallen' Files Added
    P
    Many

Without his Casualty Card I suppose it is impossible to say, as Dergatschi was also the scene of fighting during Third Kharkov. A forum member mentioned that to have been killed in that area on the date he was would mean he would've been part of either KG Witt (SS Pzr Gren Regt 1) or KG Sandig (2nd battalion of SS Pzr Gren Regt 2). Dergatschi is a district in the Northwest outskirts of Kharkov and the SS Panzer Korps advanced down the Dergatschi-Kharkov road on the 11th of March and Sandig got as far as Severnyi Railroad yards by nightfall. The next day he broke through the defensive lines on the outskirts of the city (12th March, Hackl's DoD). The website I'm using for reference doesn't mention if these defensive lines were still counted as Dergatschi or another district. Furthermore, I'm unsure if Dergatschi was the only place with a field hospital in the area, as that would mean that if he was wounded and brought back and died there, he could have been from a KG operating in another area.

That mass of text might seem like I'm waffling on so I apologise if so. Without his CC I think it is impossible to say for certain if he was KIA or died of wounds back at the hospital in Dergatschi. It was also a hospital area and an area of combat at the same time.

Below is the Sterbebild itself. Sometimes on them it mentions if they died later of wounds, but that isn't universal so one can't use that as a foundation for further thoughts, unfortunately.

It may well just be one of those things we can't know for certain, so I appreciate the help gents thus far.

On a side note, those TK men were possibly from the 1. / Panzer Abteilung Totenkopf, attached the KG Harmel.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Ancestry - 2.4million WW2 German 'Gefallen' Files Added  

Quote by hucks216 View Post
    A good tip that I was passed

Attachment 1420802Attachment 1420803
    Good tip indeed mate. Although one can't be certain, it could provide an educated guess. It's a tactic I'll certainly employ once I've got my own membership and stop troubling others with my items

The Totenkopf men are from 2., 3., 8. & 15./SS-Panzergrenadier-Regiment Totenkopf although the unit transcription does show how errors can affect searches as whoever put in the details for the digital files has transcribed SS-Pz.Gren.Rgt Totenkopf as 44-Pz.Gren.Rgt Totenkopf in all 5 cases.

For what it is worth, here is the registry entry for Josef Hackl's death which shows his fathers name is Josef and his mother is Berta.

Ancestry - 2.4million WW2 German 'Gefallen' Files Added

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3