Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

Bäckerei Kompanie Info

Article about: Hello, does somebody know how far behind the frontline Bäckerei Kompanien operated/were based? I heard something like 30km but I’m not sure where I got the information from. Would it be p

?

Default Bäckerei Kompanie Info

Hello,

does somebody know how far behind the frontline Bäckerei Kompanien operated/were based? I heard something like 30km but I’m not sure where I got the information from.
    Would it be possible for such „behind the line units“ like Bäckerei Kompanien to be encircled with the fighting force?
    Would the Bäckerei Kompanien help in fighting the enemy in case of the fighting units of their division getting/being encircled?

I would be happy for any information regarding that topic.

Anon

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Bäckerei Kompanie Info
    P
    Many

I don't have anything certain but I'm sure I read somewhere once that Bäckerei units were similarly placed to Main Casualty Dressing stations, so not directly in the firing line unless poorly planned. I guess in a crunch everyone who could use a weapon could be called upon. They would all have personal weapons, even the cooks.

?

Is a main casualty dressing station something like a Feldlazarett?

Hi Anon.
    Not exactly. Sometihing like a First Aid Station of the Military Medical Company.

This can help you:
    Photos - Papers - Propaganda of the Thrid Reich
    Thread: What's wrong doctor? Pictures of German doctors, paramedics, nurses and hospitals. #3

Photos - Papers - Propaganda of the Thrid Reich - German Photographs & Poscards
    Thread: An army marches on its stomach # 15 and 16

I agree with Black Cat. Both in an enemy offensive and during the retreat, any man from any rear unit: sanitary, veterinarians, bakers, etc. has to wield his mauser and fight for his life....
    Last edited by TabsTabs1964; 08-16-2022 at 08:53 PM.

?

Great, thank you both for the information!

Not strictly related, but German medical personnel could and did carry sidearms - which could be seen as being against the Geneva Convention. US medics also did carry weapons in the Pacific too, once they saw that the Japanese did not always respect the Red Cross.

?

I have a collection of photographs from a Luftwaffe cook, serving on the eastern front, which includes a photograph of the grave of a colleague - perhaps, even his own, as I have no idea who’s photographs they were.
    The support arms were certainly not ‘in the rear’, as far as enemy artillery was concerned.

I can't add anything concrete to the question, but here is an example from a Wehrstammbuch for a soldier who served in medical units. The entry shows how troops in 'non combat' units could be used in secondary roles, possible to defend themselves or plug gaps in the line.

The entry at the top says that he was trained to use the Gewehr 98k rifle.

The entry at the bottom -

Zu verwenden (To use)

in erster linie als : Krankenträger (primarily as: Stretcher bearer)
    in zweiter linie als : Gewehr Schütze (secondly as: Rifleman)

Kind regards,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Bäckerei Kompanie Info  

German soldiers in 'non combat' units have had the same basic education as the other soldiers, so they were used in combat as well, if that has been necessary.