Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Collecting WW2 Relics: Any auction houses to avoid . . . or to embrace?

Article about: In my very casual purview of WW2 relics being offered by auction houses, one particular auction company that sells World War Two mementos (particularly German artifacts) seems to have a numb

Default Collecting WW2 Relics: Any auction houses to avoid . . . or to embrace?

In my very casual purview of WW2 relics being offered by auction houses, one particular auction company that sells World War Two mementos (particularly German artifacts) seems to have a number of pieces that appear fake.
    However, I acknowledge that I am not an expert at sifting through real, fake, and fantasy pieces.

Are there particular auction houses I should flat out stay away from? Are there others where the staff seem knowledgeable enough that they are stocking the auctions with authentic pieces?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Collecting WW2 Relics:  Any auction houses to avoid . . . or to embrace?
    P
    Many

Default Re: Collecting WW2 Relics: Any auction houses to avoid . . . or to embrace?

Fleamarkets are the best.
    chris

Default Re: Collecting WW2 Relics: Any auction houses to avoid . . . or to embrace?

I don't know any specific names, but I have bought helmets from several auction companies and they were 100% good helmets. Keep in mind I bugged them for a ton of extra pics. As soon as anything shows signs of being tampered with I walked away. You really must know what you are looking at because 9 times out of 10 the auction company probably has no idea what's real or fake. And most don't care.

its very rare for them to state that its original unless 100% sure. UK side.

I have noticed that too, Harry. For just about anything sold in Europe there is a conservative description for what it is. I guess to illustrate the issue, one auction company in particular sells pieces that even to my fairly uneducated eye do not look like they were created in the 1930s or 40s. Some cases in point:

German Nazi SS regiment “Viking” ring : Lot 27

German Nazi Police ring. : Lot 29

WWII German Nazi SS Army Tank assault ring : Lot 31

WWII German Nazi wrist watch with SS Logo : Lot 18

WWII German Nazi SS Tottenkopf wrist watch : Lot 19

WWII German Nazi NSKK Berlin Headquarters rubber stamp : Lot 41

WWII German Nazi SS Police Division Berlin Headquarters : Lot 42

WWII German Nazi Concentration camp “Gross Rosen” rubb : Lot 67

Am I off here? These are just a small sampling of what is offered that looks questionable to my eye. Am I being too harsh?
    Are these genuine as they are described?

?

Hello Robert
    You're not being too harsh. Every item shown is crap.

Regards
    Brett

Auction houses can be a real minefield. I would only shop auctions for items you know very well and have studied closely. Many many items are fantasy or reproduction items. Many are also not correctly identified. To me they are buyer beware. I buy at auction houses or Ebay once in a while but only items that I have studied and feel confident in my own ability to authenticate and feel 100% about. They are not for the new collector IMO as the risk of getting a bad item is very high.

Robert...if everything on that list were offered to you for Free, they would still be not worth the price...write that auction house off your list as
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by Robert666 View Post
    I have noticed that too, Harry. For just about anything sold in Europe there is a conservative description for what it is. I guess to illustrate the issue, one auction company in particular sells pieces that even to my fairly uneducated eye do not look like they were created in the 1930s or 40s. Some cases in point:

German Nazi SS regiment “Viking” ring : Lot 27

German Nazi Police ring. : Lot 29

WWII German Nazi SS Army Tank assault ring : Lot 31

WWII German Nazi wrist watch with SS Logo : Lot 18

WWII German Nazi SS Tottenkopf wrist watch : Lot 19

WWII German Nazi NSKK Berlin Headquarters rubber stamp : Lot 41

WWII German Nazi SS Police Division Berlin Headquarters : Lot 42

WWII German Nazi Concentration camp “Gross Rosen” rubb : Lot 67

Am I off here? These are just a small sampling of what is offered that looks questionable to my eye. Am I being too harsh?
    Are these genuine as they are described?
    This isn't an auction house it's just a junkyard !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

This isn't an auction house it's just a junkyard !!

+ 1

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast