Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast

Forests, wood and bunkers.

Article about: Hello friends. Today I am going to start a shot thread that I have called "Forests, wood and bunkers". I intend to give a perspective on the territory that the German soldiers foun

In 1978 or 1979 when I was a 15 year old boy I went to the cinema to see this movie.

Sam Peckinpah's unforgettable and shocking insight into the lives of German soldiers on the Ostfront.

I remember three of its characters in their bunkers

James Mason as Col. Strauss
    (Although it is not my specialty, I think that the arm of the Krimschild is not the correct one)

David Warner as Capt. Kiesel

And my favourite:

Igor Galo as Leutnant Meyer (next to a samovar!)

To get an idea of how unhealthy the air is inside a bunker in the front, I guess this scene from the movie is quite illustrative

YouTube

Life in the bunker: Dirt & natural body oils can keep you waterproof.

Well, comrades, we have seen life inside. Tomorrow we will finish seeing the dangers that lie in wait outside.
    Best regards.

Santi

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Forests, wood and bunkers.
    P
    Many

Love this post, really shows a glimpse of the conditions the soldiers, which items we all collect, lived in. I might start searching for Albums and pictures myself, once the corona quarantine closes and the flea makets open again.

TWS
    ?

The really inauthentic haircuts/hair styles bother me. Maybe I'm too OCD, but thankfully more modern films have made their actors wear more authentic hair cuts/styles.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Strongly agree Todd. It is a failure of many war movies of the 60s and 70s. It's the truth.

This is a great thread, covering all the aspects of a lonely war, miles from home.

Looking at the pictures of the troops inside the bunkers, trying to make it homely.

It just shows how sad and isolated they must have felt.

I too, loved the movie "Cross of Iron", I was only 16 at the time and a militaria shop opened up just over the road from where I lived.

I was in heaven, but these pictures show the reality of war, I wonder how many soldiers in the pictures, ever returned home?

Unfortunately, my friend, I imagine that many of them fell and stayed on Russian soil for ever ....

Default The danger outside.

We all know that in the forests of Belarus and western Russia, that is to say in the rear of Army Group Central since the summer of 1941 partisan units of very different sizes, operated sabotaging Wehrmacht communications and attacking all targets within their reach.
    That was the real danger that lay in wait for the soldiers in the rear.

A few images of those partisans who staged a cruel fight with the German Security Divisions.

Last edited by TabsTabs1964; 05-08-2020 at 08:12 PM.

It was a ruthless fight. The partisans did not take prisoners, if a German soldier was captured, they executed him.
    And the same thing happened to them. The captured partisans had a job to do: dig their own graves. Then they were shot.

A captured partisan.

Digging his own grave.

Looking at death.

Horrifiying pictures. The way they stand arround them gives these pictures an really terrible atmosphere, but it shows very good the cruelty of war.
    I´m sad for either side, as after all, they where all humans.

The forests of the USSR were the grave for thousands of German soldiers and the men they were fighting against. May they all rest in peace.

This has been all friends, thank you very much for following the thread and for the many kind comments that really are an encouragement to make these threads.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 ... LastLast