Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Geography of the USSR. Kiev under the german occupation

Article about: Kiev (in Russian: Київ) It is the capital and the largest city of Ukraine. Administrative capital of the Kiev Oblast. Crossed by the Dnieper River Its population in 1

In the next photo, three soldiers walk towards the camera, with the Cathedral of the Assumption behind them (The number 3 on another red arrow in the map). One of them wears two light-colored cuff titles on his uniform.

tabstabs collection

In the last one, (number 4 on another red arrow in the map) these three soldiers, photographed from further afield, observe the monuments that surround them. Now they have the inner façade of the Gate Church of the Trinity behind them, as if they had finished their visit and were walking back down the so-called Monastery Street towards the exit of the great religious complex of the city of Kiev.

tabstabs collection

Although I add the photos at this point in the thread, I have also inserted them in # 26 and #27, which is where I talk about the monastery.

I have used a tourist map to draw the three red arrows where the four photos are taken.

Santi

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Geography of the USSR. Kiev under the german occupation
    P
    Many

Thanks again Santi, I have seen these sites many times and seeing them again is so sweet. I sure missed not going to Ukraine this summer.

Thanks,

William

As I have been uploading a few images of the Mark V tank in Smolensk Cathedral, I take the opportunity to upload this image of the one in Kiev.

The photo is from November 4, 1941. I do not know the exact place where it was, but we have a clue. At the bottom of the image is the Saint Andrew´s Dome.

In the back of the photo we see how the soldiers called the 1914-1918 war "Die Weltkrieg"
    Last edited by TabsTabs1964; 04-06-2021 at 03:07 PM.

I have never seen this tank in Kiev. I have been many times to the tank museum next to the WWII Memorial near the Monastery of the Caves. I have seen two of these tanks in Lughansk. They were both restored not too many years ago but with the recent fighting there I do not know their condition now. I will try to find the pictures I have of them. Do you want any pictures of the tank museum in Kiev?

Thanks

Bill

City of Lughansk

Oh Thanks, Bill. Would be great!!

As far as I know, eleven Mark Vs have survived. Most are in Russia or Ukraine and are survivors of tanks sent to aid the White forces during the Russian Civil War.

As you said two preserved Mark Vs, both Composites, form part of an outdoor memorial at Lughansk. Two more are in storage, according to Wikipedia.

I forgot to say that the images I am talking about have been uploaded to a new thread that I started last night in this section of the Forum, about the German occupation of Smolensk.

Kind regards, stay safe.
    Today the government of Spain returns to decree the state of alarm and the curfew throughout Spain.
    Have the best Halloween possible under these circumstances.

Santi

Default If bridges blow up, build a new one....

Four new views.
    On mighty Dnieper. In the background, the Lavra Monastery

Bill...I'm afraid this is going to be another year without being able to visit Kiev ...

Regards

Santi

I am making plans for July 4 to Aug 4 but I have my doubts if it is possible.

I love your pictures. I have stood in front of St. Andrews Church many, many times. I have also walked up and down St. Andrews decent many many times. It is beautiful summer or winter. I belive the other picture is of the Communist Party Building form Soviet times.

Thank You Santi, I trust you make it some day, maybe we could even meet and I can give you a tour.

William

I hope the world will soon be a safe place to move around. And may Ukraine continue without war ...
    My best wishes.

Santi

Page 7 of 9 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast