Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Geography of the USSR. Orel under german occupation

Article about: Orel (in Russian: Орёл) It is a Russian city at the crossroads of roads and train tracks. Administrative capital of the Oriol Oblast. Its population in 2010 was 317,0

Default Orel (and Belgorod). the salute to the Victory

Soviet tanks march on the Moscow road in Orel.

The Red flag flutters in the turret of the T-34.

What in Russia is known as "The era of Salutes to Victory" began on August 5, 1943, after the special proclamation of Stalin, which announced the release of Orel and Belgorod. The deep voice of the radio announcer for the first time pronounced phrases destined to become during the next two years something very familiar:

"Order of Supreme Commander in Chief Popov to Colonel General Koniev ... Today, August 5, the Front of Briansk´s troops, in collaboration with the troops of the Western and Central Fronts, have conquered, after maintaining a hard battle, the city of Orel. Also today the troops of the Fronts of the Steppe and Voronez have broken the enemy resistance conquering the city of Belgorod. "

After giving the names of the units that first entered the two cities, and after announcing that from this moment they would be called "Orel Regiment" and "Belgorod Regiment", for the first time a message of this type was broadcast :

"Tonight, at 24 hours on August 5, the capital of our Homeland, Moscow, will salute the courageous troops that have freed Orel and Belgorod with twelve artillery rounds fired by 120 guns. My sincere thanks to the troops who have taken part in the offensive ... Eternal glory to the heroes who fell in the fight for the freedom of our country. Death to the German invaders! The supreme commander in chief, Marshal of the Soviet Union, Stalin ".

Artillery batteries open fire at 12 o'clock in Moscow. It was the first Victory´s salute.

With very small variations, this was the formula destined to become the consecrated text that Russia heard on the radio more than three hundred times before the final victory over Germany and over Japan.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Geography of the USSR. Orel under german occupation
    P
    Many

The symbol of the final victory. A Soviet officer salutes during the Victory Parade in Moscow, on June 24, 1945.

Explanatory map of the liebration of Orel, in this city.

Entrance sign to the city: "Orel the city of the First Salute".

?

The last seconds of the Alexander bridge.
    The Berliner Illustrierte Zeitung, 1943, #34.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Geography of the USSR. Orel under german occupation  

Hi McSeam.
    Thank you very much for uploading those images.
    I have seen on several occasions the filming of the blasting of the bridge on the Internet, but never less photographs of a German newspaper of the period.

?

In return I'd like to thank you for these geographic threads, it's very interesting. Please continue!

Thank you very much for your support, McSeam.
    As you can see, I have already published threads about Minsk, Kharkiv and Orel, all of them with images that I have gathered over the years, some of the internet and some originals from my private collection.
    I am currently publishing a thread from the city of Kiev, (in this same section of the forum) since I have enough material, I have decided to upload it a little every ten days or so.
    I have another one that is the largest of them all, about the city of Smolensk and especially the German military hospitals in that city. That will take me a couple of months to publish, for it is the city of which I have gathered more photographs over the years.
    Finally I have smaller ones on Pskov, Pushkin and Peterhof, near Leningrad.

Best regards.
    Santi

?

Great, Santi! I like to collect such internet images of Berlin and if I see something interesting I always download it, so I share this hobby. But sometimes I can't pass by other city images and that's what I have about Kharkov and Smolensk. These WWI tanks in Smolensk were interested me very much. Here is the link: Smolensk & Kharkov — Yandex.Disk

Great images.
    I have a couple of photographs of the Smolensk Cathedral of the Assumption in which those old British Mark IV tanks appear. You will have to wait a bit to see them, until I can upload the thread about Smolensk, maybe towards Christmas.

Best regards.
    Santi
    Last edited by TabsTabs1964; 12-29-2020 at 09:07 AM.

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Excellent thread
    I was watching a documentary about the battles of Orel recently .. fascinating
    Woolgar,

What was the documentary called?

Regards,

Looking for road signs, I found this one from Orel...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast