Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

I need help finding info on this German soldier

Article about: So I have this death card of Josef Lackerbauer. The card says he was killed in the east, doesn’t specify where specifically, on December 7th 1942. He was from Freiling. His rank was Gefrei

Default I need help finding info on this German soldier

So I have this death card of Josef Lackerbauer. The card says he was killed in the east, doesn’t specify where specifically, on December 7th 1942. He was from Freiling. His rank was Gefreiter.
    I searched for him on the German war graves commission site and I found one that seems to match with everything besides the name. Instead of Lackerbauer, it’s Lackenbauer. Same date of death, both killed in the east, both born in the same place and both have same rank. Do you think they’re the same person but just had a mix up of name spelling or are they 2 completely different people with just really close coincidences.
    Thank you

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement I need help finding info on this German soldier
    P
    Many

It is just a mistake by Volksbund. His original card spells his name the same way as the memorial card and all the details match, right down to the type of unit and what killed him - artillery. He served in 2./Panzerjäger-Abt 376 of 376.Infanterie-Division. He was killed at a place called Dmitrjewka.

376.Infanterie-Division were positioned out on the Steppe during the period when he was killed. You can see them to the southwest of the city, facing the Soviet 57th Army.

Thank you so much. Also do know know why it also says Stalingrad as the death location? The war graves commission also states he’s buried in the Rossoschka German War Cemetery which is where those who fell during the battle of Stalingrad are buried

Hi there.

It says Kampfraum Stalingrad, so Battle area of Stalingrad. As Hucks says, the 376. Infanterie Division were deployed near to the city.

Dmitrievka (Dmitrjewka) and Volgograd (Stalingrad) are relatively close to each other.

Kind regards,

Will.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture I need help finding info on this German soldier  

Ahh okay! Thank you for the info.

Always good when the jigsaw pieces begin to fit together like this.

Where do you find the original cards from these soldiers at?

They are on Ancestry and Fold3.