Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Living Waffen SS Veterans

Article about: Hi everybody, I'm curious of how many living as of 2022 estimated Waffen SS vets are still alive? I only know of two that I personally contact still, I'm figuring that their is a few thousan

Default Living Waffen SS Veterans

Hi everybody, I'm curious of how many living as of 2022 estimated Waffen SS vets are still alive? I only know of two that I personally contact still, I'm figuring that their is a few thousand left or so.

Cal

P.S. Any help is appreciated

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Living Waffen SS Veterans
    P
    Many

There were 16 million US Veterans of WW2. Supposedly, there are 240,000 left. Googles says 250,000 served in the SS while wikipedia puts the number higher. Wikipedia also implies over half died before the war ended. So if one assumed 500,000, half died leaving 250,000 and apply the same ratio as the Americans surviving today you get 3750. I doubt there are that many left and for those that are still alive, they're probably in hiding. The only one I ever met would never admit it...

A friend of my fathers was a German officer on the Eastern front and he hid it too. He passed in 1993 at 90 or so. His wife survived the fire bombing of Dresden and passed at 93 in 2001. The last former Nazi I was familiar with passed in 2017 or 2018.

For the record, I only know one American left at this point.

Memories are LOOOONG ....... I wouldn't admit it if I were them!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hello.
    I would like to give you a fact, in total, during WWII about 7300 members of the Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine and Waffen SS won the Knight's Cross. Last week there were only two left alive.

Do an arithmetic projection

Regards
    Santi

Its a near impossible question to answer, that questions its like asking how many grains of salt are in a salt shaker.
    You will never really know the answer

Morris

?

Hi there.

Although this doesn't help with your question, I thought I would post it because it is an interesting list.

List of last surviving World War II veterans (last surviving member of a notable group of veterans are listed)
    List of last surviving World War II veterans - Wikipedia

Kind regards,

Will.

?

Very soon there will be zero. The last one I knew personally died in 2017 at age 90.

?

I knew many veterans of the Waffen SS many of whom were RKT none of whom are still alive apart from one , it is impossible to give a number of the survivors . All those i knew who were Stalingrad veterans are also gone .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings