Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Need help to identify dkig owner

Article about: Hello , i dont know if its the right thread… maybe someone can help m to identify the men here. He was awarded with the dkig, hj badge, earthgroundbadge, wounded badge and nect to it a Fal

Default Need help to identify dkig owner

Hello , i dont know if its the right thread… maybe someone can help m to identify the men here.
    He was awarded with the dkig, hj badge, earthgroundbadge, wounded badge and nect to it a Fallschirmjäger badge.

I Would like to know whats his name?
    He was in tank unit hermann göring , and before i think a Fallschirmjäger?

The Backside says 1942 but can be mistaken year?

I appreciate any help thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help to identify dkig owner   Need help to identify dkig owner  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Need help to identify dkig owner
    P
    Many

Default Need help to identify dkig owner

Need help to identify dkig owner
    Hello , i dont know if its the right thread… maybe someone can help m to identify the men here.
    He was awarded with the dkig, hj badge, earthgroundbadge, wounded badge and nect to it a Fallschirmjäger badge.

I Would like to know whats his name?
    He was in tank unit hermann göring , and before i think a Fallschirmjäger?

The Backside says 1942 but can be mistaken year?

I appreciate any help thank you
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Need help to identify dkig owner  

Hi there.

The name is tricky, but might say Hoflehner.

Kind regards,

Will.

?

I will start by saying that this is a nice portrait of a veteran Fallschirmjäger. I really wish this was a medium shot or full length portrait so we could see if he is wearing the Kreta cuff as there is a real chance he is. If this was in fact taken in 1942, it would have been before North Afrika where he would have received the Afrika cuff. Well-decorated even for the year 1942 although he is still only a Gefreiter.

He would have come from the Stab, I. or III. Bataillonen of Fallschirmjäger Regiment 5 before they were morphed into the HG when it was expanded into Division strength. These parts of the Regiment were fighting in Tunisia within the Ramcke Brigade. Before this regiment was in existence many of the men had come from the Luftlande Sturm Regiment after the significant casualties on Kreta. Although I question why he is not wearing the Ostmedaille ribbon as he should have been on the Eastern Front unless prevented by a wound or illness. Every Fallschirmjäger unit wound up on the defensive wall of trenches and dugouts east of Leningrad during First Winter.

I read the name as Hohlehner but it could also read as Hoflehner as Will said. The problem is that there are no holders of the German Cross listed anywhere with a name similar to this from the Luftwaffe. As he was not an officer, there was nothing by DeZeng. Also according to some of the books listing holders of the DKiG by Scheibert, Schmitz, and titles about the HG do not list such a man. I did not see any possibilities for the LLSR, FJR5, or the HG. Not listed on tracesofwar either.

I would not think the writing on the back to be fraudulent but either this is not his name or any account of him has largely flown under the radar of many people. I once read that there was something like 232 men across the Fallschirmtruppe that held the DKiG. There are men not just from the Fallschirmjäger but across the Heer that have are not listed anywhere so that is a very real possibility here.

Regards, Ben