Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Paintings at The Berghof

Article about: This will be my attempt to identify the paintings at the Bergohf. I’ll stick only to the Great Hall (altough there were other paintings in the other rooms / floors of the former Wachenfeld

hvm
    ?

I love your research. Very nice!

Two years ago I have visited Berchtesgaden and Das Kehlsteinhaus. To bad they transformed it into a restaurant. During that visit I also visited the location where the Berghof and the Teahouse used to be. These places are dripping with history. A must to visit once.

I hope you can complete the puzzle. Unfortunately I cannot help you with it. This is not my area of expertise.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Paintings at The Berghof
    P
    Many

JMM
    ?

Thank you hvm

A visit that I would like to make because as you so rightful say, "those places are dripping with history. Walking from The Berghof to Mooslahnerkopf (Tea House) or vist Kampfhäusl (where used to be the hut where Hitler wrote the second part of 'Mein Kampf') should probably be like a living history class).

I agree with you. Too bad they transformed Das Kehlsteinhaus (commonly known as "The Eagles Nest) into a restaurant but at least you can visit it. The same can not be said about The Berghof (unnecessarily) bombed by the British troops in late April 1945.

Here are some pics of the destruction (outside views where "Bormann's tree" is still visible and inside views of what once was the "Great Hall"...

Paintings at The BerghofPaintings at The BerghofPaintings at The BerghofPaintings at The BerghofPaintings at The BerghofPaintings at The BerghofPaintings at The BerghofPaintings at The BerghofPaintings at The Berghof
    Last edited by JMM; 11-05-2020 at 06:42 PM.

hvm
    ?

Maybe you have seen it already, but this video explains the area very well (sorry for going off topic by the way).

Eagle's Nest - Hitler's Mountaintop Headquarters Today - YouTube

?

Such a shame it got completely destroyed. Any idea why they call it Bormann's tree JMM ?

JMM
    ?

Hitler complained about the sun in the summer so Bormann decided to plant this tree to somehow block a bit the strong light.
    He was always ready to please the Führer (had already given him Blondi and had the huge Kehlsteinhaus built)

?

Hitler at Home Despina Stratigakos

I fast look at it, it doesn't say what those paintings are but theres lot (373 pages) if you are interested Berghof...
    Cover picture is real its from Eva Braun’s room...

Paintings at The Berghof

JMM
    ?

Thanks.
    Yes I know the book but didn't remember to consult it.
    Although, as you say, it doesn't mention the paintings' names / authors, I'll definitely take a look.
    Thank you.

Default Identifying painting

Quote by JMM View Post
    So, nobody has got any idea as to what these three paintings might be?

Attachment 1455428
    This is a cool thread, very interesting. I've been researching these paintings and came across this forum. The portrait on the right of that picture in the Hall is Helmuth von Moltke by Franz Seraph von Lenbach in 1885. He was Chief of the Prussian General Staff for about 30 years in the 1800's. It was quite interesting to find out this guy is the oldest person born (1800) to have a surviving voice recording of. The only person born in the 18th century (1701-1800) to have a voice recording. You can hear it on his Wiki page.

Paintings at The Berghof

The painting itself was moved around the Berghof at times. It was also above the fireplace in the Study Room. It's the one behind Hitler in his official wikipedia photo.

Paintings at The Berghof

Paintings at The Berghof

Paintings at The Berghof

Also above that same fireplace at another time was a painting of Frederick the Great by Antoine Pesne.

Paintings at The Berghof

Paintings at The Berghof

Paintings at The Berghof

Paintings at The Berghof

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast