Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Paintings at The Berghof

Article about: This will be my attempt to identify the paintings at the Bergohf. I’ll stick only to the Great Hall (altough there were other paintings in the other rooms / floors of the former Wachenfeld

?

JMM will be happy with these updates. Extremely interesting addition to the thread!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Paintings at The Berghof
    P
    Many

I have some clearer images of other paintings and have a good idea as to what they are. I'm 95% sure I've seen that still life fruit painting and know what it is. I'm just a little busy right now, but I'll get back as soon as I can with what I have.

JMM
    ?

This is great. Thanks a lot. One painting is identified. If you really find the fruit one, that'll make two, so only one left to find out.
    Thank you

Well the good news is I found one of the paintings. It's an Edward Jakob Von Steinle - Adam and Eve after the Fall 1853. I found out about the Private Hitler art catalogue archive from his Berghof paintings and downloaded the hi-res black and white photos. Glad I did because I can make out some signatures on some paintings I've been looking for. This has his E, J, S sign.

Paintings at The Berghof Paintings at The Berghof

The bad news is the still life is harder than I thought. I didn't realise just how many Dutch still lifes there are with lobsters lol. But I have some ideas after doing some research. The first image here is the one in the Great hall we're looking for. The second with the lute appears in the Hitler catalogue (but haven't seen it in any photos). I can't find either online anywhere. But in the hi-res download I can just make out a partial signature in the second painting it looks like it's from Jan Davidsz. de Heem. So the first is possibly him but they look like different artists to me. Possibly from Willem Kalf maybe? Some of Kalf's still life art was found in the Altaussee salt mine and has other paintings with a lobster and fruit on a table. Maybe even a Pseudo-Simons painting? Too many to choose from. That's all I have for that right now.

I'm still trying to find the rest of the paintings for the whole place but right now, for this thread I've still got to find these from the Hall.

That looks like another Giovanni Paolo Pannini Roman ruin at the back but can't find an exact match. Then there is this one that seems to be another Paris Bordone painting but again I can only find a very close likeness. Hmmmm the search continues for another day.

JMM
    ?

Fantastic Jp. Thank you very much.

Resuming, we have ID for:

- "Edward Jakob Von Steinle - Adam and Eve after the Fall
    1853"
    - "Still life" - painting found but not the author (Jan Davidsz
    de Heem, Willem Kalf, or other).
    Also did a quick search for de Heem, Kalf and Simons and
    also found nothing.
    - "Helmuth von Moltke by Franz Seraph von Lenbach in
    1885"

Paintings at The Berghof

For the Great Hall only these two left to identify?

Paintings at The Berghof

I noticed this further image of the Roman ruin painting in another Great Hall photo. Next to it is a Bernardo Bellotto - View of the Grand Canal with the Santa Maria della Salute and the Dogana painted c.1743. So that's one more for the Hall list.

JMM
    ?

Thank you Jp.
    As I said on my first post, the fact that the paintings moved around inside The Berghof and between Hitler’s Munich apartment on Prinzregentenstraße and the Obersalzberg, makes the task of identifying them even more difficult.

Wow, this thread is amazing...the expertise in identifying these paintings is incredible, thank you for this !
    Regards
    Paul

Quote by Pauls1970 View Post
    Wow, this thread is amazing...
    I agree. This is a great thread.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Well done every one, to those who have contributed to make this thread really interestiting.

I'm sure some of these works of art, have been sold for lots of money and will continue to do so in the future years.

People with big pockets..

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast