Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Reading Death Card

Article about: Can you guys help me read this death card? I think it is Karl Puhr and he died 10/12/44. On the back of the card I think it also says wife but can't read the name. Thanks as always, trying t

The Soldier, (rank: Schütze), was buried in the Bollweiler Schlosspark, (Bollweiler castle ground), in Gebweiler, Elsass (Elsace), Grab: in Reihe VI Feld A

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reading Death Card
    P
    Many

?

"Nachrichten" translates to "news", thats correct. But I think in this context its not intelligence, more like communications (so radio operators etc.)

Quote by DavK View Post
    "Nachrichten" translates to "news", thats correct. But I think in this context its not intelligence, more like communications (so radio operators etc.)
    Of course I was forgetting about communications. It's a problematic word. Didn't the Germans themselves have a misunderstanding when at the founding of the Reich Security Service Heydrich was assumed to have been a naval intelligence officer rather than a signals officer because of the same word?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

Just a quick addition: "Nachricht" aslo means "message" in german, so Nachrichtentruppe could be literally translated as something like "messaging troops", which makes more sense.

That’s right guys, in this case Nachrichten is literally signals/communication.

Here is an example -

Gebirgs-Nachrichten-Abteilung 54 of 1. Gebirgs-Division.

Stab

1. Gebirgs-Fernsprechkompanie (tmot.)

2. Gebirgs-Fernsprechkompanie (tmot.)

3. Gebirgs-Funkkompanie (tmot.)

leichte Gebirgs-Nachrichtenkolonne (mot.)

TWS
    ?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Correct, it is from the verb verletzen - to injure and verletzung is the noun 'injury'

Regards

Mark
    Thanks Mark, but I had zero doubt about the meaning of Verletzung or it's related verb since I speak/read/write German fairly fluently. The question was what the abbreviation "Verl." meant.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

TWS
    ?

Quote by Watchdog View Post
    Nachrichten does translate as 'news' and is employed in the sense in journalism etc but I think in a military / security context it means 'intelligence' as in the modern Bundes Nachrichtendienst (BND) or Federal Intelligence Service which is the German equivalent of the British MI5 and US FBI (internal national matters rather than MI6 & CIA - external matters). During wartime and in the armed forces I think the interpretation should be military intelligence rather than 'news'

Regards

Mark
    Not in this case. In "Wehrmachtsprache" Nachrichten meant signals aka. communications.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Quote by TWS View Post
    Not in this case. In "Wehrmachtsprache" Nachrichten meant signals aka. communications.
    Yes, as I mentioned in #10 in this thread

Why would you think that? Always looking to make sure I get it right. Thanks

What do You mean ?

DavK in #12 and 14,
    Willmore in #15, and,
    TWS in #17

are the same opinion like me ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast