Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Recent Third Reich sites.Where?

Article about: Places of note.Who can tell me where they are?

?

This is a very nice idea for a thread.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Recent Third Reich sites.Where?
    P
    Many

?

I remember looking at a website years ago that had side-by-side then-and-now photos of some of the famous sites around Munich. As I recall the original NSDAP office is now in the back room of a stationary shop... or maybe it was an Apple store?

?

Yes very interesting and i guess history that is slowly vanishing.
    I have had some great trips to Germany .I will share an experience that i wish i could revisit.
    It was in 1998 my first trip to Europe.Everywhere i went but mostly where we spent the night i asked about ww2 sites or places of interest.
    99% of Germans including my wife"s family believe that anyone who asks about the war or has an interest is crazy.We were just south of Berlin and again at breakfast i asked the Guest house owner,awaiting the usual reply this guy asked which way we were going.I said towards Berlin.He pulled out a map and suggested we drive this way.
    Zossen/Wunsdorf.The biggest German army base before and during the war,over run by the Russians,gated and used by the Russians.
    We had arrived i guess just after the Russians had packed and left.There economy had collapsed and this place was open.
    Inside was a large town,streets,shops all in Russian and no one there.
    The complex had been used but nothing had been "cleaned up"after the war and the buildings all looked untouched period.Bomb craters and still mess everywhere.Driving around this massive complex of ww2 military building and no one there.Buildings crudely boarded up and now i can only imagine what could have been inside.I found 2 ww1 helmets just lying on the ground while driving around.Still have them.
    The Russians had taken everything of value i guess not in the sense of our collecting but light fittings and so on.
    I then came across 4 German guys about my age.They were standing outside the entrance to the biggest bunker system in Germany and according to them we were to be only the second group to enter since the Russians left.A massive underground structure.Went to the room where Hitler ran the attack on Poland.
    As we walked along the hallways in the bunker,rooms to the left and right were filled with gear,everything just thrown in and a few boards blocked the entrance.I should have spent more time and now i can only imagine what might have been.In that whole complex nothing had been painted or cleaned up.The air ventilation towers some still lying on there side from the bombing.
    I had 3 small children back then so i probably couldn't spend much time,if only i could go back.
    It has now all been turned into housing.
    Last edited by Mazlin; 12-20-2022 at 12:13 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2