Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Research help requested!

Article about: Hi everyone, I'm brand new here. I think my questions range over a variety of forum sections here, but I thought I'd start in the research section and if you feel I should be redirected, ple

Quote by Rakkasan187 View Post
    I'm sorry I didn't clarify the lists.. What I was referring to were the lists of German Wounded. If you go back into ancestry and put Gustav Wilhelm Schaal's name in the search engine and his DOB you will find his records that ancestry has identified, but in the military section you may have look at each of the pages of the war wounded as there are a few Gustav Wilhelm Schaal's listed but they do not match his date of birth. You may have to look at each wounded roster that lists Schaal to locate Gustav and when he was wounded.

I was running late for an appointment so I didn't get the chance to do an in-depth search.

Hope this better clarifies what you will need to search and where. The military section in Ancestry would be the first place I would look to narrow it down rather than the whole site.

Smitty
    Will try that, thanks!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Research help requested!
    P
    Many

?

I would be interested in seeing the other pictures probably as would others. Maybe they somehow came across each others paths just before or early into the Great War. It is obvious that somehow they knew each other better than expected. I think the friendship was likely formed throughout the 1920s. Schaal seems to have been living in Stuttgart for at least 35 years and as a career military officer, whereas Rommel was also a career military officer and holding such a position within Stuttgart from 1920 to 1929. A possible nine years of interwar time for two men with some big similarities to become acquainted.

Ben

?

His visor cap is piped in what appears to be black (?).
    If that is the case he would be with the Pioneers.
    Do you have any information about his service in the 1939-1945 conflict?

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

For those interested in a bit of history, here are a few pics of the book I bought and some newspaper articles that were stuck in the back of it:

Research help requested! Research help requested!

Research help requested!

Quote by Adrian View Post
    His visor cap is piped in what appears to be black (?).
    If that is the case he would be with the Pioneers.
    Do you have any information about his service in the 1939-1945 conflict?
    Not really, I think any info I have so far is about his service in WWI. I would love to know what his involvement in WWII was, if any.
    Last edited by User80915; 03-15-2023 at 06:05 AM.

There were a lot of soldiers called Schaal in Infanterie regiment 180 during WW1. But I think this is him, severely wounded in November 1916, unit details at the top.

Research help requested!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2