Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Researching Estonians who served in the German armed forces.

Article about: I know this is a bit of a long shot and this forum isn't a genealogy site but it's worth asking. I have a Granddaughter who's Grandmother (my ex partner) was born in the UK to Estonian paren

Default Researching Estonians who served in the German armed forces.

I know this is a bit of a long shot and this forum isn't a genealogy site but it's worth asking. I have a Granddaughter who's Grandmother (my ex partner) was born in the UK to Estonian parents, I'm trying to find out a little more about the parents for the family tree.
    The people i need info about are Robert Härm born about 1922 in Estonia, died Sept 1979 Golborne Greater Manchester, death registered in Leigh greater Manchester. Robert served in one of the Estonian waffen ss units.
    The other person is Virve Kristal born about 1926 in Estonia, died July 2005 Blackpool Lancashire. Virve served in a unit (Nebeltruppe) that operated smoke machines to camouflage buildings during air raids.
    Robert and Virve were married in April 1953 in Oxford.
    Any info about Robert and Virve would be greatly appreciated, even if it is only their places of birth and birth dates.
    Mods, i really didn't know where to post this, if there is a more appropriate forum please move it. Many thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Researching Estonians who served in the German armed forces.
    P
    Many

Robert was born on 14/9/1922. Details from Death registry, birth location not given. Source - Ancestry.

Thank you very much for the info, every little bit helps.

Sorry there wasn't more.

?

Gunny many of the Estonians serving with the 20th Waffen Gren Div der SS , Estnische no 1 were captured by the British in Schleswig Holstein where the Divisioanl A u E was based at the end of the war . They were taken to the UK and most chose to remain as Estonia was now once again part of the USSR and ended up in the Manchester and Leeds areas working in the the mills and clothing industry , the most famouse being RKT Haralt Riipalu who died in Heckmondwike in 1961 .

The Estonians in the UK has their own associations and clubs and most of the ex pats and their English born families were members , i wqs in touch with some of them such as Richard Saagi from leicester but all the vets i knew are now gone but i'm sure the organisations will still be in existance .

Here is a link to some of the clubs / associations in the UK who would be a good port of call to contact .

Estonian Organisations in the UK - London
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul D View Post
    Gunny many of the Estonians serving with the 20th Waffen Gren Div der SS , Estnische no 1 were captured by the British in Schleswig Holstein where the Divisioanl A u E was based at the end of the war . They were taken to the UK and most chose to remain as Estonia was now once again part of the USSR and ended up in the Manchester and Leeds areas working in the the mills and clothing industry , the most famouse being RKT Haralt Riipalu who died in Heckmondwike in 1961 .

The Estonians in the UK has their own associations and clubs and most of the ex pats and their English born families were members , i wqs in touch with some of them such as Richard Saagi from leicester but all the vets i knew are now gone but i'm sure the organisations will still be in existance .

Here is a link to some of the clubs / associations in the UK who would be a good port of call to contact .

Estonian Organisations in the UK - London
    Thank you very much for the info and the reply Paul, I'll certainly be using those links. The Manchester and Leeds area sounds right to me, Robert and Virve settled in Golborne Lancashire where Robert worked as a coal miner, Golborne being only about 10 miles from Manchester.

I would be interested in seeing what you find out.

I find these kinds of threads interesting as I've tried to search my own
    family military histories but there are so many marriages and divorces
    and opposing sides not talking to one another that it is impossible to track anything down.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Great thread, will make for interesting research Paul !
    Regards
    Paul