Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Returning German POW - Family Photos

Article about: Hi Gents - I hope I am posting this in the correct forum section. I have a few photos that some might find interesting. The 1st photo I had seen before, but I just recently found several mor

?

You da' Man Jeff !!! G

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Returning German POW - Family Photos
    P
    Many

?

Thanks...I hope that all turns out. For family research and historical information this could get interesting. You folks have me motivated to follow thru etc.

?

To be sure, I know I'm hitting an older thread. My cousin recently moved, within the southern USA, and sent me a few boxes of photos. Said he liked them but knew I was more interested in family history etc. But this one caught my eye quickly. August Bender as a young boy with his parents. Clearly him when you compare to his 1947 return from POW.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Returning German POW - Family Photos   Returning German POW - Family Photos  

Hi Jeff,

Very interesting to see. My dad was a refugee from East Prussia, and my grandfather was captured at Koenigsberg on April 9th. He got out of the POW camp by a fluke in September and was near death when he, by a miracle, got back to the west and his family. I am currently working on a biography of his experiences, as I have all his Feldpost from the period. The hardships and suffering of the German people in the eastern provinces should never be forgotten. BTW my grandmother's maiden name was Weller, and the family estate was at Metgethen.

Cool Topic being discussed here...About two years ago, I received this M43 cap and POW Photo from the Friend of another Friend living in Berlin...
    -Glenn-
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Returning German POW - Family Photos   Returning German POW - Family Photos  

Returning German POW - Family Photos   Returning German POW - Family Photos  

Returning German POW - Family Photos  

?

Thanks for the responses guys, to my otherwise rather old thread. Great photo and cap Glenn. Vince, would be great for you to post the biography of his experiences once you put the information together. I have a few updates I'll add soon myself.

Very interesting thread, thank you
    Paul

?

Quote by VtwinVince View Post
    Hi Jeff,

Very interesting to see. My dad was a refugee from East Prussia, and my grandfather was captured at Koenigsberg on April 9th. He got out of the POW camp by a fluke in September and was near death when he, by a miracle, got back to the west and his family. I am currently working on a biography of his experiences, as I have all his Feldpost from the period. The hardships and suffering of the German people in the eastern provinces should never be forgotten. BTW my grandmother's maiden name was Weller, and the family estate was at Metgethen.
    Here another older yet relative post. My GG Aunt was Clara Weller. A piece of the yet to be complete family puzzle.

1914 Iron Cross

Thanks for finding interest in this thread. Inspires me to take the next step and contact the the grandaughter of August. Now that I have a few more pics it maybe time.

Thanks for the link Jeff. Great to see the EK2 that your ancestor won. When I was 13 (a long time ago) my grandfather gave me his EK2, which he was awarded in October, 1914 at Dixmuide.

?

Quote by VtwinVince View Post
    Thanks for the link Jeff. Great to see the EK2 that your ancestor won. When I was 13 (a long time ago) my grandfather gave me his EK2, which he was awarded in October, 1914 at Dixmuide.
    That is great to know the actual battle. Reading about Dixmuide now. If you have a chance, do post some pics of the your grandfather's EK2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast