Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Wehrstammbuch and Soldbuch to the same soldier in Grenadier Regiment 379 and 392

Article about: Happy days! Just accuired this document pairing to Gebirgsjäger Josef Seiler for my PhD research. The grouping includes (among a few other documents) his "Wehrstammbuch" and the o

Jan
    ?

Default Wehrstammbuch and Soldbuch to the same soldier in Grenadier Regiment 379 and 392

Happy days!

Just accuired this document pairing to Gebirgsjäger Josef Seiler for my PhD research. The grouping includes (among a few other documents) his "Wehrstammbuch" and the original "Soldbuch" carried by him in service. He visited the German transition camp I´m studying (for my conflict archaeology thesis) three times between 1943 and 1944 so this is a true gem for my research!

The Wehrstammbuch, which is his military service record book held at Unit Headquarters also contains extensive service records showing him having served in north Finland, September 1942 to May 1944.

Seiler served in the infantry gun companies of Grenadier Regiment 379 and 392. He was awarded the Black Wound Badge December 1943 after being wounded in Finland.

I will include better photos when I receive the items.

Best, Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrstammbuch and Soldbuch to the same soldier in Grenadier Regiment 379 and 392  
    Attached Images Attached Images Wehrstammbuch and Soldbuch to the same soldier in Grenadier Regiment 379 and 392 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Wehrstammbuch and Soldbuch to the same soldier in Grenadier Regiment 379 and 392
    P
    Many

Hi Jan,

What a great set to have in your collection and it makes it even better that you can use it to further your research.

I look forward to seeing the rest.

On a side note, I planned to go on and get a MSc in conflict archaeology (I have a BSc in Field Archaeology) but life got in the way lol.

Jan
    ?

Thanks Willmore.

I will post more photos soon. I was wondering how it is possible that the "Soldbuch" and "Wehrstammbuch" are found together. Did the two documents get combined when Josef became a POW?

Best, Jan

Hi Jan.

I’m not 100% certain to be honest.

I believe there are a number of ways that the Soldbuch was paired with the Wehrstammbuch. My understanding is that if a soldier was killed or left the military for any reason, the Soldbuch was sent to be ‘archived’ with the Wehrstammbuch, while his Wehrpass would be either returned to him or his next of kin.

Jan
    ?

Hopefully someone here on this forum can help

Best, Jan

The Wehrstammbuch wasn't kept with his unit. It was compiled and kept at the Wehrersatzdienstelle in his relevant recruiting district, who would of also issued him with his Wehrpass when he first registered for military service.
    If the Soldbuch is with it then either he was killed and the Soldbuch was sent back to Germany (but he isn't listed in the Volksbund so may well of survived), possibly discharged from service due to injury or he may of been stationed in the same area and was given his Wehrstammbuch when the war was coming to a close.

Jan
    ?

Thanks a lot, this clarified things immensely

Best, Jan

Jan
    ?

Here we go,

The grouping is for "Schützen" Josef Seiler who was born in Ecknach (S. Ainach) some 60 kms NW of Munich on July 1st 1923. I research the Soldbuch and Wehrstammbuch page by page starting with the Wehrstammbuch.

Inside the Wehrstammbuch among other papaers was a loose civilan photo of Josef probably taken a little before he enlisted in 1942 at the age of 19. I can´t make out the full text but the beginning reads.

" Seiler Josef geb. 1.7.1923...

If anyone can help me out with the rest I would be grateful,

Best,

Jan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Wehrstammbuch and Soldbuch to the same soldier in Grenadier Regiment 379 and 392   Wehrstammbuch and Soldbuch to the same soldier in Grenadier Regiment 379 and 392  

Wehrstammbuch and Soldbuch to the same soldier in Grenadier Regiment 379 and 392