Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

1944 Polikarpov Po-2

Article about: I had a private tour of one of my favourite aircraft at the weekend! This beauty is part of the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden Aerodrome, Biggleswade. She is airworthy and shows off a

Default 1944 Polikarpov Po-2

I had a private tour of one of my favourite aircraft at the weekend!

This beauty is part of the Shuttleworth Collection at Old Warden Aerodrome, Biggleswade.

She is airworthy and delights crowds at the regular air shows there

Nick
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1944 Polikarpov Po-2   1944 Polikarpov Po-2  

1944 Polikarpov Po-2   1944 Polikarpov Po-2  

Last edited by Woolgar; 02-10-2020 at 07:40 PM.
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement 1944 Polikarpov Po-2
    P
    Many

Excellent Nick. Great to be able to take a seat inside the plane! Cool!

more shots
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1944 Polikarpov Po-2   1944 Polikarpov Po-2  

1944 Polikarpov Po-2  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

a few more

?

Wonderful experience! Those young girls, Night Witches, who were about 20, made this plane fly and fight so you can imagine what they felt flying through night blasts above the enemies.

But this wild mix of letters make me think that this item was made in China.

1944 Polikarpov Po-2

Yes the Engineer said that it wasn't an original gun, they just added it for show

As for the Night Witches, I have read many accounts of their exploits....brave girls indeed!

Nick

Nick, not sure if you know this book but it is very recommendable since it is many of the women telling their own story. There's many books about the Night Witches and women in the Red Army but this is imo the best since the women all tell the stories in their own words. So much more interesting than a modern researchers view on 70 year old happenings.

1944 Polikarpov Po-2

Thanks Marcel, I have read a few but not this one

Nick

'A Dance with Death' by Anne Noggle is one of the better books. One issue with the book from a point of view of historical accuracy, is that it is based on contemporary interviews. Fifty years after the event, some memories might not be so accurate.

Another good book with probably the highest degree of accuracy is 'Women in Air War - The Eastern Front of World War 2', edited and translated by Dr. Kazimiera J. Cottam. The first Russian edition of the book was compiled in 1962, when memories were relatively fresh and was compiled by members of the dive bomber regiment and the fighter regiment. The current book is Dr. Cottam's edited translation of the second edition published in Russia in 1971. It includes the section on the night bomber regiment compiled by one of it's flight commanders. Apart from historical merit, it's a good read as well, as are all of Dr. Cottam's books on Soviet women in the war.

Cheers, Willie.

Thanks for this recommendation Willie

Nick