Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

My Wife’s Grandfathers history in Red Army

Article about: Only this week my wife’s mother discovered her a father served in the Red Army 1942-45 and was the recipient of Medal of Courage and the Defence of the Siege of Leningrad awards. He was Uk

Default My Wife’s Grandfathers history in Red Army

Only this week my wife’s mother discovered her father served in the Red Army 1942-45 and was the recipient of Medal of Courage and the Defence of the Siege of Leningrad awards.
    He was Ukrainian and his name was Cherapan Stepan Iosifovich.
    My mother in law obtained the attached documents in Russia where she lives which we still need to translate, however it appears he served with 51 Canon Artillery Regiment ( if my translation is correct)
    As you will see from the map in 1944 he ended up fighting on an island off Estonia.
    I believe he was wounded too.
    Sadly we are unable to locate the medals.
    The only thing I can’t understand I’d how he was awarded the Defence of Leningrad medal as there is no evidence to say he served around the Leningrad region.
    If anyone could help I would be most grateful. Sorry about the poor standard of photos but they will expand if you double click on each one.
    Once translated I will add to the post.
    Regards
    Nick

My Wife’s Grandfathers history in Red ArmyMy Wife’s Grandfathers history in Red ArmyMy Wife’s Grandfathers history in Red ArmyMy Wife’s Grandfathers history in Red ArmyMy Wife’s Grandfathers history in Red ArmyMy Wife’s Grandfathers history in Red ArmyMy Wife’s Grandfathers history in Red ArmyMy Wife’s Grandfathers history in Red ArmyMy Wife’s Grandfathers history in Red ArmyMy Wife’s Grandfathers history in Red ArmyMy Wife’s Grandfathers history in Red Army
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My Wife’s Grandfathers history in Red Army   My Wife’s Grandfathers history in Red Army  

"In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My Wife’s Grandfathers history in Red Army
    P
    Many

Perhaps you can get the Record card from the archives and with that know the Bravery medal's serial number. Who knows it shows up at Ebay or a dealers website. I don't mind to help to keep an eye out on that Bravery medal to see if it shows up somewhere.

Thanks Marcel much appreciated.
    Yes I will try and obtain the record card

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Translated one page of the documents…..

‘August 24 1942. Whilst in the 437th Rifle Regiment in the Smolensk region in an offensive battle with fire from personal weapons , he disabled five enemy soldiers and when capturing the trenches, using grenades, destroyed up to eight Nazis in hand to hand combat. He received shrapnel wounds in the ensuing battle.

November 22-23 1944 during the cleansing of the Sorve peninsula (Estonia) in an area of continuous fire, he fixed eight breaks in the communications wire thereby ensuring continuity of communication and the ability to control fire which made it possible to neutralise three enemy artillery batteries in a timely manner and disperse two companies of enemy infantry counterattacks’.
    Last edited by Woolgar; 11-14-2022 at 07:03 PM.

A brave man! Good to see you keeping the memory and his brave deeds alive by doing this research and sharing it here.

Congratulations Nick on a great find
    It is not the size of a Collection in History that matters......Its the size of your Passion for it!! - Larry C

One never knows what tree roots push to the surface of what laid buried before the tree was planted - Larry C

“The farther back you can look, the farther forward you are likely to see.” - Winston Churchill