Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Soviet Ilyushin -2 Stormovik wreck

Article about: This fascinating Sturmovik is tucked away on the wartime Lancaster bomber airfield of RAF Wickenby, Lincolnshire. The wartime paint can still be seen on the wheel hubs. Notice the armoured c

Quote by Woolgar View Post
    Apparently there used to be two Il-2's in that location and one has been taken away, presumably to be restored.
    Nick
    Thanks Nick, that would be interesting.

It sounds like a very likely explanation for the later part of the story for sure.

I thought the data plate seemed a little detailed for a wheel rim (wheel rims are usually stamped rather than tagged like this aren't they?) but looking closer the details are the tyre size, item nomenclature and thirdly a long serial number which seems unusual for a wheel rim or even a whole wheel assembly. I wonder if that is significant

Any WWII aviation parts spotters amongst us?

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Soviet Ilyushin -2 Stormovik wreck
    P
    Many

Apparently the one at Wickenby is one of two that were there and intended for restoration.

This one ended up as a donor and was UK registered as; G-BZVX whilst the other; G-BZVW is apparently being rebuilt somewhere! Have a look here;

Euro Demobbed - Out of Service Military Aircraft in Europe

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Ah! That is interesting, thanks!.....I wonder where the other one is being rebuilt? I would really like to see what stage its at.
    It could be in one of the many hangers on the airfield. I will ask around

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Pity this is being left to rot, there are plenty of people who would like to take this away for sure. And if nothing else, the potential revenue from them selling it could help fund a restoration project.

A friend of mine who restores WW2 vehicles is trying to find out who owns it.

It would be a great project!

Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

Would seem to belong to someone, the barb wire is there to deter the curious. But shame they can't keep the remains under cover to preserve. Reminds me of those car body horders who have too many projects to complete.

Hopefully some one can buy it, then restore it.

It would a great addition to any Museum.

I'm sure there would spare parts in Russia..

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2