Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

Stalingrad Tractor Plant and T-34 Monument

Article about: The factory was designed by American Architect Albert Kahn Once the contract was agreed, design and construction of the plant proceeded without delay, and the entire facility was installed w

Default Stalingrad Tractor Plant and T-34 Monument

The factory was designed by American Architect Albert Kahn
    Once the contract was agreed, design and construction of the plant proceeded without delay, and the entire facility was installed within a period of six months under the supervision of American engineers. The steel structures were manufactured in New York by the McClintic-Marshall Company, and then transported to Stalingrad for field assembly. The huge flow of cargo was shipped via the Atlantic Ocean, the Mediterranean and Black Sea, then along the Volga river and over land to the place of construction. The plant was kitted out with equipment from more than eighty US engineering companies and several German firms.

Tank production began in 1932 with the launch of the T-26 light infantry tank, which was easy to manufacture and operate, and considered to be more reliable than foreign equivalents. In 1939, the first automated machine tool line in the USSR was designed and commissioned at the Volgograd Tractor Plant on the initiative of I. P. Inochkina, a design engineer who worked at the plant for 35 years. By the end of the 1940s, dozens of such lines were in operation at bearing and automotive plants.

By the time war broke out in September 1939, the tractor plant had produced a quarter of a million standard tractors as well as 40,000 tracked versions. During World War II, the plant was retooled to produce military equipment and weapons for the Soviet Red Army, most notably the T-34 tank. The plant became world-famous during the Battle of Stalingrad. When the German Wehrmacht reached the city in the summer of 1942, the tractor plant was their first target, and it was largely destroyed during the fierce fighting that ensued over the next few months. Once the hostilities had ended with the final victory in February 1943, the site was cleared of shells and debris so that restoration work could begin immediately. Full-scale production resumed at the plant within months of the city being liberated.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Stalingrad Tractor Plant and T-34 Monument   Stalingrad Tractor Plant and T-34 Monument  

Stalingrad Tractor Plant and T-34 Monument   Stalingrad Tractor Plant and T-34 Monument  

Stalingrad Tractor Plant and T-34 Monument  
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Stalingrad Tractor Plant and T-34 Monument
    P
    Many

Very interesting my friend.

?

Thanks Woolgar,
    I like the Then and Now pic's. I also appreciate the history lesson behind it!!
    Good Deal and Great Pic's

Semper Fi
    Phil

TWS
    ?

Nice write up and +1 on a love for before and after photos. Thanks for posting.

I regret to report that when I toured Volgograd we merely drove past the gates slowly but I had my face pressed to the window glass like a little kid.
    Todd
    Former U.S. Army Tanker.
    "Best job I ever had."

Woolgar, did you hit all the sights? We arrived in Volgograd in August 2003 with the intent of hiring a driver on the cheap, but the taxi mafia boss had us pegged. There was no haggling. It was $200 to get out of the airport. Only got a drive-by of the Tractor Factory, but had a great visit to the Stalingrad museum. The tank display outside was nice because they had a JS3. The visit to the Mamayev Kurgan was the highlight.

Quote by Mathieu K View Post
    Woolgar, did you hit all the sights? We arrived in Volgograd in August 2003 with the intent of hiring a driver on the cheap, but the taxi mafia boss had us pegged. There was no haggling. It was $200 to get out of the airport. Only got a drive-by of the Tractor Factory, but had a great visit to the Stalingrad museum. The tank display outside was nice because they had a JS3. The visit to the Mamayev Kurgan was the highlight.
    I went on an arranged five day tour with guide and saw everything. I would never do Russian battlefields on the cheap you miss so much
    Nick
    "In all my years as a soldier, I have never seen men fight so hard." - SS Obergruppenfuhrer Wilhelm Bittrich - Arnhem

?

I've now managed to persuade Leger to do Stalingrad Tours Nick , was there last September and have just got my visa sorted for a Tour in May !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Paul D View Post
    I've now managed to persuade Leger to do Stalingrad Tours Nick , was there last September and have just got my visa sorted for a Tour in May !!
    Awesome! I'm so pleased they are going there now! I bet its very popular!
    I was there 3 years ago and the memories never leave you

Nick

?

We had 40 in September and 35 booked for this May , it's the pinnacle of Battlefield Tours for many people .
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings