Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

1942 Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife with ring grip. Wilkinson Sword stamp.

Article about: Hello I wonder if anyone can help me with this knife. I have tried Google but need a little more help. From my on line research I believe this is a Fairbairn Sykes (Commando) Fighting Dagger

gameofchance
    ?

Default 1942 Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife with ring grip. Wilkinson Sword stamp.

Hello

I wonder if anyone can help me with this knife. I have tried Google but need a little more help.

From my on line research I believe this is a Fairbairn Sykes (Commando) Fighting Dagger. Possibly 3rd pattern because of the ring grip which was introduced in 1942?

The knife is the one pictured. It measures 29.5cm in total length, the blade measures 17.2cm in length and 2.6cm at the top.

There is the Wilkinsons Sword logo on one side of the blade and F-S Fighting Knife on the other side. There are no other markings or dates on the handle of the hand guard (or whatever its called) It looks like the cap at the end of the handle is brass or similar which is a different metal to the main handle.

The sheath appears to be brown leather with a brown elastic strap at the top and a brass piece at the bottom. There are no markings on the sheath.

I wonder if anyone can confirm if I am right and what this may be worth? Also I searched ebay but to no avail so if I was looking to sell what are the best options.

Thank you in anticipation
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture 1942 Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife with ring grip. Wilkinson Sword stamp.  

Default Re: 1942 Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife with ring grip. Wilkinson Sword stamp.

Hi, and welcome to the forum!

You are corecct in your thoughts. Looks like a good WW2 production knife. Sometimes there will be a tiny mould number on the grip.

Cheers, Ade.

?

Default Re: 1942 Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife with ring grip. Wilkinson Sword stamp.

Hi , maybe you can try here for more info just cut & paste . It is a 3rd Pattern... f-s fighting knife 2nd pattern

Can I ask does the the leather scabbard at the end where it has the brass protection cap have a staple holding it on the leather or is it a rivet. Your picture is a little hard to see with regard the blade,but I think it is hand ground not machine made which is nice . Handle might have a small # 2 near the pommel . As Ade , has already mentioned . Condition plays a big part on the price .Thanks

Cheer's, Mark
    Last edited by Mark; 07-02-2011 at 08:04 AM.

THWest
    ?

Hi mark
    It is a 3rd patern Sykes Fairbairn made by wilkinson sword.
    These are quite sort after because of the wilkinson sword etching. I would guess a value of between $500 and $1000. Probably on the lower end becaues your knife looks to be in poor condition.
    You can get good info about these knives at this link:
    british commando knife 3rd pattern

?

I really would like to see the etching on both sides and any other marks that exist before drawing any opinion. At the moment, yep it's look like a 2nd pattern one. But market is full of fakes

?

Hi ,thanks for the information.Unfortunately it is not my knife pictured here or thread . I do have 1 Wilkinson Sword 2ND pattern in my collection, it belonged to a WW2 USAAF pilot "Heavy bomber's" based in England. He is 93 years old and is still living with his family in Florida USA. Thank you for your reply.

Cheer's,Mark

?

Here is what I meant Mark,
    eBay - The UK's Online Marketplace

I don't want to give an answer, unless I'm sure

It's a 3rd pattern (the 2nd has a fine checkered grip).

Can't really comment on the age from a photo, but you should know that Wilkinsons have been manufacturing these knives with identical etched marking up into the 1970s at least...I have a black one I bought new from them at this time.

Cheers,

Pat

?

Wilkinsons have been manufacturing these knives with identical etched marking up into the 1970s at least...
    Had but with differences, you van always define war period production. otherwise 1st patterns woudn't fetch £1500 nowadays

Forming of Commando Units demanded fighting knives <--- check it