Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

3rd Pattern Late War FS Help Please

Article about: I am at a local show and one of the vendors has this for sale. I believe it to be a very rough condition 3rd pattern, late war type with the condition the main issues. My other concerns woul

Default 3rd Pattern Late War FS Help Please

I am at a local show and one of the vendors has this for sale. I believe it to be a very rough condition 3rd pattern, late war type with the condition the main issues. My other concerns would be the direction of the broad arrow and the flat rivet for the scabbard tip. I have always seen the broad arrow pointing towards the crossguard. I do not mind the export mark as there were many shipped to the US after the war. I do not want a reproduction though. I am going back tomorrow morning. Asking price is $70. Not that cheap since condition is so bad. Looking for opinions on originality and if you would buy as a place holder until a better one is found.
    Thank you for looking. Photos with phone at the show so I apologize early.
    John

3rd Pattern Late War FS Help Please3rd Pattern Late War FS Help Please3rd Pattern Late War FS Help Please3rd Pattern Late War FS Help Please3rd Pattern Late War FS Help Please

?

I personally don't like it, don't think it's original and would wait for something better, even as a place holder.

?

Quality and construction of both knife and scabbard are questionable at best, and look like outright fakes or reproductions.

I agree with relicz. I’m not a fan of the wear or pitting on the knife. Looks artificial and inconsistent to me.

Thumbs down

I've checked my Wilkinson Sword 3rd Pattern FS and agree that this example just doesn't look 'right'. I'd 'pass' and wait for a better example.

Thank you for the replies and info. I will pass on this today.
    John

Hi John, I just saw this and I agree that you are correct to leave this one alone. Condition is one thing but even a rough original looks better than this. However the "condition" developed the poor quality is still evident and no original of whatever variant was ever that rough!

Good decision.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

Thank you Mark.
    John