Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Age of Fairbairn Sykes

Article about: I know it is not WW2, but when was this issued? It says J. Nowill and Sons, Sheffield England. Then has an Arrow and a Diamond H. on grip, it has an *D and two keys crossed. I couldn't find

Default Age of Fairbairn Sykes

I know it is not WW2, but when was this issued? It says J. Nowill and Sons, Sheffield England. Then has an Arrow and a Diamond H. on grip, it has an *D and two keys crossed. I couldn't find the dates in which these were issued.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Age of Fairbairn Sykes  

Default Re: Age of Fairbairn Sykes

This could be of current manufacture. Certainly looks new........................!
    Regards,

Steve.

Yup, probably is new, still made and can be bought new. The ones made currently with the Nowill markings are not issued ones as such.

This is the manufacturers website, click the military knives link in their index on the left hand side.

?

You can go here: Fairbairn-Sykes Fighting knife and commando knife post war production

and search for John Nowill and Son. It explains that the broad arrow is applied by the manufacturer in the factory. (presumably to add "cachet" to the item. I've read that the broadarrow has been discontinued for many years as an official marking which would explain why the government hasn't ordered them to cease and desist!)

The official MOD supplier these days is said to be Eggington Group who own the Joseph Rodgers, George Ibberson and John Wolstenholme trademarks. The knives they supply are unmarked.

There is an earlier version of this knife with a fake WD (for War Dept.) and broadarrow that fools many. Note the topnut installed upside down!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Age of Fairbairn Sykes   Age of Fairbairn Sykes