Lakesidetrader - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

fairbairn sykes 3rd pattern 3rd pattern Help Please

Article about: I picked this up due to the provenance. A local estate of a WWII vet that was in WWII, part of the occupation force and then served in Korea. I did not think twice, but now I am thinking aga

Default fairbairn sykes 3rd pattern 3rd pattern Help Please

I picked this up due to the provenance. A local estate of a WWII vet that was in WWII, part of the occupation force and then served in Korea. I did not think twice, but now I am thinking again. I think a 3rd pattern but the scabbard concerns me a bit. They have been together for a long time. I was assuming the England stamp was applied during the occupation and I am re-thinking that as well as I could not find anything as when they started stamping England on them. I would be fine with it if it was procured during the occupation period since it would make sense. I am not happy with it if it was stamped in the 80's and had no chance of being a brought back item. I got a little caught up in all of the other period correct items most of which were named to him. Any help or opinions are appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to look and comment.
    John

fairbairn sykes 3rd pattern 3rd pattern Help Pleasefairbairn sykes 3rd pattern 3rd pattern Help Pleasefairbairn sykes 3rd pattern 3rd pattern Help Pleasefairbairn sykes 3rd pattern 3rd pattern Help Pleasefairbairn sykes 3rd pattern 3rd pattern Help Pleasefairbairn sykes 3rd pattern 3rd pattern Help Pleasefairbairn sykes 3rd pattern 3rd pattern Help Pleasefairbairn sykes 3rd pattern 3rd pattern Help Pleasefairbairn sykes 3rd pattern 3rd pattern Help Pleasefairbairn sykes 3rd pattern 3rd pattern Help Please

Original late WW2 but as I understand it the items were stamped “ENGLAND” when they were sold out of service. Much like lend lease firearms were marked “NOT ENGLISH MADE” when they were sold out of service. I do not know the time frame in which they did this but I think it may have been in the ‘50s or ‘60s.

John,
    That is a perfectly good ww2 produced F-S knife and scabbard.
    Knives marked England were imported into the US. Helping to pay off
    the war debt. This knife was probably bought by a soldier on his way to Korea
    or because he possibly saw one during his service in ww2 and just wanted one.

Either way, a good knife and scabbard.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Thank you for the replies and information. I am feeling much better about the provenance. Thanks again.
    John

F-S knives are known to have been carried in Korea. How many of those
    were purchased in the US is impossible to say.
    gregM

myself around.

There is some law on the US books that required (may be still does) the country of manufacture to be marked on knives and possibly other products. So after WW2 with a bit of a stockpile of these daggers often still with the manufacturer, as the Ministry of Defence had stopped buying, they saw a market in the US. Those exported to America were stamped "ENGLAND" and are a sign of a post WW2 export, but some may well have been made before wars end.

I have one as well.
    Mine is from a July 1953 "Popular Mechanics" magazine that my wife found
    at a garage sale.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture fairbairn sykes 3rd pattern 3rd pattern Help Please  
    Last edited by Chopperman; 08-17-2019 at 04:41 PM.
    gregM

myself around.

Interesting. That sort of confirms the date of the export trade, as being sold as new. I wonder how many were bought by big game hunters?

Do you think they were already reproducing these and calling them hunting knives or surplus knives being sold as hunting knives?
    John

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast