Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here

Fairbairn - Sykes fighting knife, opinions needed please

Article about: I picked this knife up from a chap who does house clearances. It has been housed in an ‘adapted’ First World War German bayonet scabbard. It looks to have some age to it as the blade sho

Default Fairbairn - Sykes fighting knife, opinions needed please

I picked this knife up from a chap who does house clearances. It has been housed in an ‘adapted’ First World War German bayonet scabbard. It looks to have some age to it as the blade shows marks from use and sharpening and the scabbard has dried and shrunk to its new shape.

I have very little knowledge of these knives but I note that It has a number of differences to the knives I have viewed on line, ( thin blade guard, securing nut on handle etc)
    Another oddity is that the handle seems to be marked with a crossed keys design.

I would be grateful for any opinions on this knife.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fairbairn - Sykes fighting knife, opinions needed please   Fairbairn - Sykes fighting knife, opinions needed please  

Fairbairn - Sykes fighting knife, opinions needed please   Fairbairn - Sykes fighting knife, opinions needed please  

Fairbairn - Sykes fighting knife, opinions needed please   Fairbairn - Sykes fighting knife, opinions needed please  

CBH
    ?

I believe the Crossed Keys marking indicates post-war manufacture.
    I have a similarly marked example and I think it is 1960's or 70's.

Thanks for that, does yours have the visible lock nut holding the handle to the blade?

I agree. most likely from the 70's but could even be newer than that.

The crossed keys mark is from the maker J. Nowill and sons. They are still
    making F-S copies today. I believe that they can be ordered knew off amazon and
    other such places.
    Last edited by Chopperman; 08-10-2020 at 04:31 AM.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Gents, thanks for your excellent information. There’s one just like it on their website.

Genuine J Nowill & Sons Fairbairn-sykes Black Commando Knife Sheffield England M.O.D. Issue – The Sheffield Cutlery Shop

Cheers
    Rob