Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fairbairn–Sykes - William Rodgers

Article about: My Dad bought me this knife when I was a kid. So I've had it for a minimum of 40 years. Probably closer to 45. It unfortunately sat neglected in a box with other childhood memories in his at

MAP
    ?

Default Fairbairn–Sykes - William Rodgers

My Dad bought me this knife when I was a kid. So I've had it for a minimum of 40 years. Probably closer to 45.

It unfortunately sat neglected in a box with other childhood memories in his attic or basement for 25+ years and then many years in my basement until I finally re-discovered and put it in a more stable environment. You can see it has some light rust from all these years of poor storage. But it is still very sharp.

Anyway. What do I have? I know this is NOT a WW2 era blade and also fully expect it to be a complete Reproduction. Probably one reason why it got stuck in a box for all these years.

A cheap fake? Or a real but post war (probably mid '70's) William Rodgers.

Only markings on it are "William Rodgers, Sheffield England". It is painted black and with what appears to be a blued blade

The top appears to be brass.

Blade is 7 inches and knife is 11 5/8ths

"Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

It's an original late war example, (third pattern).
    There may be a mold number on the handle near the pommel.
    You can compare with mine here.
    Fairbairn–Sykes Fighting Knife #1
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Quote by rbminis View Post
    It's an original late war example, (third pattern).
    There may be a mold number on the handle near the pommel.
    You can compare with mine here.
    Fairbairn–Sykes Fighting Knife #1
    Ralph.
    Thanks Ralph,

Wow, well, I would be very happy if it is a late war example. Always assumed it was a copy.

Yours does seem more refined. Mine looks a little more rough and not as finished. Also the scabbards are different. Mine is black and rivets looks like steel and not brass.

Lastly, I should have.mentioned in my first post but there are no mold numbers.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

The only thing I see that is slightly different, is the pommel nut.
    While it is possible that it was actually manufactured after the war, I feel confident that it could very well have been made during.
    They can also be somewhat dated by the style of drag on the sheath.
    I think it is just poor storage conditions that have given it a rougher appearance.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

MAP
    ?

Thanks Ralph, if that is the case....then I'm very happy to have a real WW2 era FS knife! LoL. Hope you can understand why I'm being cautious and maybe skeptical. Add to that, as I know nothing about them!

And to think I played with this as a 10 year old and probably took it camping one or twice

Here are two close ups of the pommel nut and the grip. To me they look to be brass. But under certain light I was thinking it was just patina on steel (on the Pommel Nut). On the grip though you can see some green verdigris where it was probably touching the leather sheath for decades

?

Looks like a legit third pattern U.S. export.

Some info here Michael. The Third Pattern F-S — The Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife

I've come across and woodworked a few third pattern over the years, not so with the first and second patterns and their variations, they a rarity around here for the most part. Thirds patterns are much more common. A classic design that is incredibly sharp and all business.

A third pattern of mine.
    Regards,
    John

MAP
    ?

Quote by relicz View Post
    Looks like a legit third pattern U.S. export.

Some info here Michael. The Third Pattern F-S — The Fairbairn Sykes Fighting Knife

I've come across a few third pattern over the years, not so with the first and second patterns and their variations. Thirds patterns are much more common.
    Well I'll be..........shocked.

Thanks John/Ralph. You both made my day.

A few close ups of the pommel on my William Rodgers example.
    Ralph.

?

Scabbard of the first one looks to be post war from my understanding, post war used non brass rivets and a thicker elastic. British Commando Knife source.

MAP
    ?

Quote by M.E.E. View Post
    Scabbard of the first one looks to be post war from my understanding, post war used non brass rivets and a thinker elastic. British Commando Knife source.
    Thanks. I was looking at that site earlier today doing some self research. I couldn't find a matching scabbard but probably missed it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast