Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Found a knife - Is this genuine? F-S Fighting Knife 1st Pattern

Article about: I helped an older gentleman fix the roof on his house so he could sell and move down South. He offered me some tools from his shed - he wouldn't need them any longer. Found this in a box. Di

Quote by militariaone View Post
    Roy is a scholar and a true gentleman.

V/r Lance
    He seems to be genuinely interested, and a true professional! He has asked to see the knife in person, and asked to send it to him for inspection / appraisal. I'll be taking a few more pictures of the knife while I have it, and tomorrow it makes its way over to Roy via the mail truck. I'll let everyone know what he has to say.

This is an original first pattern Wilkinson FS knife.
    Due to their design and fine point, these were prone to having the tip broken off. Users found that when used as they were intended, the tip was prone to sticking into bone and would often break off the very tip.
    That was the main reason for the creation of the 2nd pattern with a slightly more robust blade shape.
    Do you have the sheath for it as well?
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by rbminis View Post
    This is an original first pattern Wilkinson FS knife.
    Due to their design and fine point, these were prone to having the tip broken off. Users found that when used as they were intended, the tip was prone to sticking into bone and would often break off the very tip.
    That was the main reason for the creation of the 2nd pattern with a slightly more robust blade shape.
    Do you have the sheath for it as well?
    Ralph.
    Hi Ralph,

Unfortunately, I don't have the sheath.

That's some good information about the tip - albeit dark; unfortunately I don't know if this knife was damaged in action, or if it was used as a tool later in life. it was in a cardboard box full of tools.

CBH
    ?

Great find no matter where it was found, lucky it was you who found it.
    Not someone who would toss it or continue to use it as a pry bar!

I have moved your thread to the correct section of the forum.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by militariaone View Post
    Greetings,

Here's a recent article on your specific knife. Knife Magazine Article February 2018 Mystery of The 30946 F-S Knives Solved Yes, I believe it is original, just in less than awesome condition.

Cheers,

V/r Lance
    I am unable to access Roy's site from my work computer, could someone please post the main info from this link?
    Ralph.

I am unable to access Roy's site from my work computer, could someone please post the main info from this link?
    Ralph.
    My work computer blocks it too!

The general takeaway is that it's assumed 500 knives were make with the 30946 number - the author knows of 37 in existence. It was discovered that the 30946 knives were issued to the British 9th Commando.

MAP
    ?

Ralph.
    It's a scan Ralph....I'm not tech savvy enough to upload it.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I've been digging through flea markets and yard sales my whole life hoping to find
    something on this order.

If you every decide to sell it, please contact me.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

".. was prone to sticking into bone and would often break off the very tip."

Or the less glamorous reason of damaged while opening a can of Bully Beef. Did happen.

9th Commando were involved in operation Sunstar, at Ouistreham in November 1941.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast