Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

help on f/s commando knife

Article about: I bought a f/s style commando knife, before I go any further no I don't have pic's. anyway it has soft leather sewn on the handle, the leather is tight as it can be, whoever sewed it on did

Default help on f/s commando knife

I bought a f/s style commando knife, before I go any further no I don't have pic's. anyway it has soft leather sewn on the handle, the leather is tight as it can be, whoever sewed it on did a great job, the hand guard, well thats what I call them . is either brass or copper, there is a mark on topleft side think, you need a magnifying glass to see it, though I have forgotten the name now I can get close, it is an initial then J or E woevil & sons, not exact on that either, then under the name is Sheffield England. the nut on top is brass I think, but any way it is old, the guy I bought it from thinks it was made custom for an American & brought to the states, has anyone seen anything like this. I have a type 2 f'/s with England stamped on top of the hand guard except for the leather sewn on the handle & the copper hand guard, they look the same, of course I dont know if it's type 1 or 2 , because of the leather. anyway just wondering. thanks.

Default Re: help on f/s commando knife

nobody, really, well ok , just wanted an idea what it might be worth, thinking about selling both knives & the scabbard I have. oh yeah I have a scabbard that is stamped England twice, they messed up & stamped it once right in the stitching.

I think the maker is probably John Nowill & Sons Ltd of Sheffield.

The leather on the hilt is a non standard addition. Very difficult to say without photos but I would guess that this is a post war third model FS.

Good site on FS knives which may help you further.

Forming of Commando Units demanded fighting knives

Regards

Richie

Quote by Richie B View Post
    I think the maker is probably John Nowill & Sons Ltd of Sheffield.

The leather on the hilt is a non standard addition. Very difficult to say without photos but I would guess that this is a post war third model FS.

Good site on FS knives which may help you further.

Forming of Commando Units demanded fighting knives

Regards

Richie
    thanks Richie, the guy told me an American AAF person brought it home, I'm think he had it made up before he came home, but yes that's the maker, I just couldn't remember, thanks for your help it is greatly appreciated thanks again.
    regards marty

?

Marty,
    With the "England" stamp being present, points to either a post war item, or one exported to the US just post war.

Check out this site :

marks of fairbairn sykes fighting knives

There is plenty to compare here ..

Cheers

Gary J.

Quote by Gary J View Post
    Marty,
    With the "England" stamp being present, points to either a post war item, or one exported to the US just post war.

Check out this site :

marks of fairbairn sykes fighting knives

There is plenty to compare here ..

Cheers

Gary J.
    thanks Gary actually the scabbard was with my type 2 f/s knife, it has England stamped on the hand guard also I will check that site out, the f/s knife is one of the nicest looking knives from the war & I understand they are still being used today, that stands the test of time. thanks again. actually I will check out both sites.
    regards Marty.