Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Helpneeded with identification please.

Article about: Hi all. I picked this up this morning from my local junk shop in Central France. It was very cheap & no claims were made for it. I know very little about them except I'm more likely to f

Default Help needed with identification please.

Hi all. I picked this up this morning from my local junk shop in Central France. It was very cheap & no claims were made for it. I know very little about them except I'm more likely to find a fake than the real thing but I bought it because it was stamped with a broad arrow & B2. It weighs 220g without the scabbard, it is 300mm long with the blade 174mm of that. The back of the scabbard is stamped 5, there are no other markings. I think there is the remnants of a vice mark(last photo). I think it is a 2nd pattern made by Wilkinson Sword. Any comments gratefully received..........hopefully good, or bad. If it is right I am wondering how it got here. The Resistance were very strong around here as it is the very centre of France & many railway lines converged here. A Wellington crashed nearby delivering the metal canisters for the Resistance. Were these dropped for their use?Helpneeded with identification please.Helpneeded with identification please.Helpneeded with identification please.Helpneeded with identification please.Helpneeded with identification please.Helpneeded with identification please.Helpneeded with identification please.
    Last edited by chesterpiglet; 06-17-2019 at 04:10 PM.

A nice second pattern, hand forged Wilkinson FS knife, with a blued blade and the correct scabbard.
    Congrats!
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Thanks Ralph! Great. Tbh I thought it too good to be true when I bought it. Is there any possibility it was used by the Resistance? I saw that a very few had copper handles with the Cross of Lorraine stamped on it. Many thanks again- much appreciated.

Quote by chesterpiglet View Post
    Thanks Ralph! Great. Tbh I thought it too good to be true when I bought it. Is there any possibility it was used by the Resistance? I saw that a very few had copper handles with the Cross of Lorraine stamped on it. Many thanks again- much appreciated.
    Not sure where the Cross of Lorraine fits into this, but this is likely an issued piece to a Commando or some other special forces.
    I believe most, if not all of the early ones had brass handles.
    I meant to say hand ground, not forged, blade.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Ralph When I was trying to find out about it I found a site that said there are 4 examples known with copper handles impressed with the Cross of Lorraine & dropped for use by the Resistance. L The link is the letter L. It's number 4 about 1/3rd of the way down Rob

Yours does not have the Cross of Lorraine impressed on the handle, nor does it appear to be made from red copper.
    Ralph.

No, I wasn't suggesting it did. I was wondering if this type was dropped for the resistance to use. Rob

Another possibility is that it belonged to a member of the US Army Rangers.
    Many Rangers were known to have carried FS knives. Also- FS knives were sold
    by Wilkinsons at their Pall Mall retail store so any soldier who passed through
    London at that time could have dropped it.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

Many thanks. I will ask the chap I bought it off if he has any information or anything associated with it! Thanks again to you & Ralph for your comments.Rob

Default Be aware.

Greetings all,

Saw mention of the Cross of Lorraine on a Commando Knife and thought I'd link the below quote taken from the very bottom of this website.Military Fighting Knives The point being buyer beware.

FAKE F/S--The following information is beingpresented in the hope that other collectors will not get burnt:
    Fake 2nd Pattern F/S--Made to be a Free French Variation--The 6 7/8" blade is blackened, under the black is whatappears to be a copper plating or coating. The guard has a small Broad Arrow on the topside. The blackened knurled grip has a large Cross imbedded in the knurling. The Cross is aprox 1/2" tall and 3/8" wide. After talkingwith a couple friends, John Fischer and Tom Parker and re-reading a section of Ron Flook'sbook, I have come to the conclusion that this thing is bogus.
    This additional information came from fellow collector Kerry Gordon. (thanks Kerry)

I just thought that you might like to know that you weren't the only one ever caught with one of these - not only do I have the French version but I also have one with the Belgian Rampant Lion stamped into the hilt.

The real give away with these is that the blade tang doesn't run all the way through thepommel nut, there's about two threads empty at the end of the nut. The other thing is that the brass pommel nuts are painted with gloss black paint rather than blackened.

Someone spent a lot of time and effort on these, the blades are tinned under theblackening and the hilts are blackened brass that is reasonable well checkered.

Best,

V/r Lance

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast