Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here

Named 2nd Model FS knife named to a WWII US D-Day Veteran

Article about: Greetings all, I own several FS knives, but did not own a named variant until I recently purchased this example. Since he was a D-Day veteran and today is that anniversary, I believed it was

Default Named 2nd Model FS knife named to a WWII US D-Day Veteran

Greetings all,

I own several FS knives, but did not own a named variant until I recently purchased this example. Since he was a D-Day veteran and today is that anniversary, I believed it was an appropriate opportunity to share this knife with my fellow forum members. This knife’s owner was a branched Infantry Officer assigned to the US 29th Infantry Division, but was later posted to Intelligence Staff positions within 9th Army. He completed the Officer Candidate Course at Ft. Benning, Georgia and was commissioned on November 30, 1943. Images of the knife are the sellers and are qualitatively better than my attempts to image the etching, so I have used them. Yes, the upper portion of the leather scabbard is missing; FS scabbards are not exactly known for their durability. I’d like to think he carried this in/on his person during the 29th IDs landing at Omaha Beach, but I’ve no proof he did. He assuredly purchased the knife before D-Day, but that does not mean it didn’t spend its war in a stored foot locker.

I have also included various newspapers’ articles, which track his WWII service. It would appear that upon returning home and being demobilized, he loaned some of his European Theater’s souvenirs to a local war bond’s drive at a J.C. Penny department store’s display. As such, I have uploaded an article about that exhibit too. Unfortunately, no other “souvenirs” accompanied the knife.

Enjoy the knife, articles, and give thanks for men such as he who did their bit when called upon.

Best,

V/r Lance

Double click images to enlarge.

His pre-war photo while attending his brother’s wedding.

Commissioning info.

D-Day's Participation

A week off in Cherbourg

On 9th Army's Intel Staff

Promoted to Captain

End of War; occupation duty & discharge

Souvenir's mentioned

Souvenir's Show at J.C. Penny

That is a wonderful piece of history, Lance.
    Thank you for posting it.
    gregM
    Live to ride -- Ride to live

I was addicted to the "Hokey-Pokey" but I've turned
    myself around.

MAP
    ?

Fantastic. Great knife and wonderful research. Congratulations and well deserved.

I will add, on an unrelated note, in the last article it mentions a German Medic helmet. Uber rare and interesting to see it mentioned in an article. I just might borrow that article for a thread on German Medic Helmets on another forum
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

What a nice FS knife Lance!
    Congrats!
    And with the history that you have, makes it that much better!
    I am still trying to find out about the original owner of my etched FS.
    Also, the longer Wilkinson etch is less common that the regular one.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Great knife Lance. The Wilkinson company must sold a lot of these private purchase knives to servicemen getting ready for the D Day invasion, and the etched personalisation was a clever marketing add on.