Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Perhaps a stupid question

Article about: Gents. The FS knife seems to have been produces in copious numbers during the war and indeed post war. My question (perhaps an obvious answer ) is, who were actually issued them for use, I t

hog
    ?

Default Perhaps a stupid question

Gents.
    The FS knife seems to have been produced in copious numbers during the war and indeed post war.
    My question (perhaps an obvious answer ) is, who were actually issued them for use, I thought it was only given to 'special forces' and there (in my mind) must have been a great many to warrant such a massive production.
    Many thanks for the patience of the member/s who can shed some light on this for me.
    Hog.

Issued to Parachute units, Army and RM Commando's, SAS, SBS, etc.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

hog
    ?

So it seems right through the board then.
    Many thanks for the info Adrian.

The “etc.” in Adrian’s reply would include non-British clandestine / special forces such as the Australian regiments and US Army Rangers. The latter having modeled their issue knife on the Fairbairn-Sykes. The No.10 Inter-allied Commando under British command consisted Belgian, Dutch, Polish, Norwegian and other volunteers from the free-allied forces.

Quote by hog View Post
    The FS knife seems to have been produced in copious numbers during the war and indeed post war . . .
    Yes, the Third Pattern certainly were. But these and all the wartime versions are becoming increasingly difficult to find in good condition, and for affordable prices as collector demand increases. Market values for some of the scarcer variants have gone through the roof. Grab them while you can.

Cheers,
    Tony
    All thoughts and opinions expressed are those of my own and should not be mistaken for medical and/or legal advice.

"Tomorrow hopes we have learned something from yesterday." - John Wayne

"The “etc.” in Adrian’s reply would include non-British clandestine / special forces such as the Australian regiments and US Army Rangers. The latter having modeled their issue knife on the Fairbairn-Sykes."

The Australian Army Stiletto would be an example of what Tony is referring to with regards to Fighting knives modelled off the FS.

Attachment 795021

All the best

Dave
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Perhaps a stupid question  

hog
    ?

Thank you Guys.
    Informative info, much appreciated.