Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Dug relic helmet that I’ve cleaned and acid washed.

Article about: I haven’t seen many in this color and was wondering where it could have been used and if the color is common. It was dug by a coworker of my father while living in Germany. Any help is appre

Default Dug relic helmet that I’ve cleaned and acid washed.

I haven’t seen many in this color and was wondering where it could have been used and if the color is common. It was dug by a coworker of my father while living in Germany. Any help is appreciated and info on this helmet. US Militaria is my main focus and I don’t have hardly a clue about German items. Thanks in advance.-BC

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Dug relic helmet that I’ve cleaned and acid washed.
    P
    Many

Fallshirmjager helmet - Album on Imgur

I’m sorry for having to post this link, my computer would not let me add a photo for some reason.

Hi BC,
    Looks to be a nicely preserved M38 Fallschirmjäger helmet with a Luftwaffe eagle decal to me, I'll wait for others to comment on it though.
    A shame most of the liner is gone and the aluminium band is very bent.
    Luis

This looks not like a dugout helmet, the helmet looks more like a barn find then something that would have been in the ground for 70 years.
    The helmet itself looks great and seems original to me, i have no idea on the decals or the paint, hope the experts bring some clearity to it.

MAP
    ?

Acid washing will typically change the paint color a bit, and from what I have seen, it makes the feldgrau paint much more green. Maybe this is what happened here. Dating the shells are tough but this example has the wartime (1940+) non-vented slotted bolts.

The decal is a bit roughed up. But from what I can see it looks like a nice dot-less ET bird.

There are others that know much more about these helmets than I so lets here what they say as well.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

I’m just going off of the story of the guy who found it, the inside was full of dried dirt before I cleaned it. But from what I know it was a dugout helmet.

Thank you for the info, is there any way to get the grey color back? And what do you mean when you refer to “dotless”

MAP
    ?

Quote by Nomadicgear View Post
    Thank you for the info, is there any way to get the grey color back? And what do you mean when you refer to “dotless”
    Feldgrau is not actually "gray" but more of a green grey that varied over time and maker. The acid wash in my opinion has locked in the color you now have.

ET is the maker of all M38 helmets. They had a standard "house" Luft decal. This decal had two variations. Essentially both were exactly the same with the exception that one variation had a small gap or black dot in the wing root.

According to Ken's decal book, most observed decaled M38 helmets have the "dot less" version
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Looks honest to me, but I would have preferred it before it got cleaned up quite so much. The original condition looked stable enough to not warrant aggressive cleaning. Do you know where it was found, maybe you can tie it in with a unit, unless it was at a mass surrender location.