Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Fallschirmjager battlefield pickup

Article about: Apparently they were picked up and bought back during the war, but unfortunately have spent the rest of their lives in a damp garage!! The Fallschirmjager helmet had all the front paint blas

?

I know that this is a very old thread but I have found some information to share. Still assuming the helmets were accepted and no information on the original veteran was known.

Fallschirmjager battlefield pickup

Name: Erich Blatt
    Unit: 1. Kompanie/Fallschirmjäger-Regiment 3
    Date of birth: 19.10.1922
    Place of birth: Herne
    Death/missing date: 01.09.1942
    Death/missing place: Deir el Shein

Gefallen: artillerie geschuß voltreffer

Erich Blatt would have fell during the fighting at the Battle of Alam el Halfa (30 August - 5 September). The Lehrbataillon/I. Bataillon of FJR3 under command of Hauptmann FA von der Heydte was apart of the Ramcke Brigade. Deir el Shein was a desert area maybe 20km south of El Alamein.

The nature of all three camo helmets makes me think that the veteran that acquired them was in the British Eighth Army. There were many opportunities for them to collect helmets such as these while passing through North Africa and the boot of Italy. If the M38 was a Ramcke helmet, that was named to a Blatt, and received shrapnel damage then I think this is a real possibility. Couldn’t a direct artillery hit like what befell Erich Blatt produce such fatal damage to a helmet like is seen.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fallschirmjager battlefield pickup
    P
    Many

Nice research. Looks like the helmets owner. All details come together. Thx for sharing!

Really great thread with great pictures.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3