Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M1938 Paratrooper's Helmet - What do you think?

Article about: I agree, as usual, with Jim's comments. Cheers, Ade.

Default M1938 Paratrooper's Helmet - What do you think?

Hello,
    Any opinions on this paratrooper's helmet? I haven't seen these non-slotted bolts before and am wondering if it is original because of this. Marked "ET66 5039" I can provide close-up of dome stamp, too, if that would help. Thanks for all you help and advice!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M1938 Paratrooper's Helmet - What do you think?   M1938 Paratrooper's Helmet - What do you think?  

M1938 Paratrooper's Helmet - What do you think?   M1938 Paratrooper's Helmet - What do you think?  

M1938 Paratrooper's Helmet - What do you think?   M1938 Paratrooper's Helmet - What do you think?  

M1938 Paratrooper's Helmet - What do you think?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M1938 Paratrooper's Helmet - What do you think?
    P
    Many

Default Re: M1938 Paratrooper's Helmet - What do you think?

i have never seen unslotted bolts either,,i would walk away from this one unless it has vet provenance

somone has ben creative there I think

Agreed. Never seen or heard of unslotted bolts. Fresh rust in that last pic to by the looks of it

?

they look like split pins not bolts !!!

?

Obviously someone has had the liner out and replaced the bolts with split pins.
    It has been messed with.
    Buyer beware.
    SteveR

?

Agree with all that has been said, the split pins i dont believe are period either thay appear too long

?

Thinking about it more, its very possible that someone has seen a photo of an M37 with ordinary pins and thought that that was the norm, its obvious that the liner has been out at some time , not withstanding the absence of the chin straps, the shell could be ok as for the decal im not so sure, i think Ade might have something to say here or Chris and Jim

Thanks, group, for all you input! Well, I already own this one so too late to walk away from it! Is there a chance the helmet and decal are original and some previous owner tried to "better" it by installing non-original liner? I assume it would be OK for me to remove the liner? BTW, yes, they are split pins - sorry I used the wrong terms in my original post. I'd be glad to put up more pictures of this one if it could help determine if there is an original shell/decal there.
    Thanks again for all of the information!

I have seen F/J helmets with split pins in place of the usual bolts that were most likely field replacements by the paratrooper. The aluminum slotted and unslotted bolts apparently had a tendency to break. I have an F/J lid with such a missing solid bolt. I haven't seen a lid with all of the bolts replaced with split pins, but why not? Probably not this one though - the shell, decal and leather look fine - but I don't see any signs of chinstraps, and there are no pads under the leather, so my vote is that the liner has been out and that this is a post war marriage of real parts. Just my 2 cents. Jim G.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast