Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

M38 Review Request - From a Collection what do you all think?

Article about: Hi everyone, This is my first post and I'm new to the forum. I recently bought a large collection of WW2 items form an estate. Some are obviously fakes and some stuff has been published in b

M38
    ?

I have to agree with Frank and the others. The pictures are not very good on details but I see more I don't like than I do like. And that wire.......that is a real stretch of the imagination to believe it is original wartime application.

Cheers,
    Terry

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M38 Review Request - From a Collection what do you all think?
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Quote by M38 View Post
    I have to agree with Frank and the others. The pictures are not very good on details but I see more I don't like than I do like. And that wire.......that is a real stretch of the imagination to believe it is original wartime application.

Cheers,
    Terry
    I think the lack of comments on the wire was because it is such a stretch that it was a given that it is bad I know at least that is what I thought
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

MAP
    ?

Brad,

We have all provide you with solid advice on this helmet as well as your SS helmet. Both of which have been deemed as not original and to date, we have not heard anything from you.

However, you have listed this helmet for sale on Ebay. Clearly with the advice provided, you know that this M38 is not original, but you do not disclose that in your listing.

WW2 German Fallschirmjager Paratrooper Helmet | eBay

Please provide an immediate explanation for this?

Thank you.

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Brad is also currently selling this one which is very similar the the lid he posted for review last week.

Original WW2 German M42 No Decal Helmet | eBay

MAP
    ?

Quote by AndyM35 View Post
    Brad is also currently selling this one which is very similar the the lid he posted for review last week.

Original WW2 German M42 No Decal Helmet | eBay
    Yes. I saw that as well. Another poorly faked camo.

RSW
    ?

And as of this writing, the dubious Fallschirmjäger helmet listed on eBay is being sold with no returns accepted. Does anybody wonder why?

And even if returns were accepted, it is still listed on eBay as genuine - which it is not. And all it takes is one uneducated buyer with enough money to outbid the others, to create another victim and to line the pockets of unscrupulous characters listing fakes. A duped buyer also may not understand they bought a fake until it is too late and a return period ends (if any).

And this is the main reason I never consider buying anything on eBay anymore. Too great a minefield of fakes and all eBay cares about are their commissions/percentages from sales, so I do not believe they are very motivated to stop this sort of thing because it keeps up their profits up to keep the listings going, regardless of what is contained in them. Just the sort of conditions the criminal element can exploit.

When I purchase something (especially anything high-end or heavily faked) I insist on either examining it in person beforehand (sometimes with reference books in hand) or obtaining it only from a reputable, well established dealer with a return period. And not some unknown on (especially) eBay. Otherwise I will skip it no matter what it is.

The seller's caveat in the Fallschirmjäger helmet listing of "I am not an expert on these helmets" offers plausible deniability and a way of attempting to avoid responsibility if he is ever called to account. Nice touch.

Quote by MAP View Post
    Please provide an immediate explanation for this?

Thank you.
    I don't think we will hear back from Brad! I think he just wants to dump and run now.

eBay is a perfectly good place to acquire militaria, as long as you go into it with extreme caution, know what you're looking at, and only buy from reputable sellers who offer a returns period. Unfortunately, it is also filled to the brim with crooks, some of whom utilise resources such as this forum to aid in their 'crookery'.

Of course, nobody with any common sense will buy a high-value item such as this one from eBay, especially from a seller with a no returns policy. But just as there are many unscrupulous sellers out there, so too are there many buyers with too much trust, too much money, and too little sense for their own good.

B.B.

Yeah, he's gone..
    And I agree with Brodie, you can find good items on eBay, once you sift through all the junk.
    I have bought multiple nice items on eBay but I tend to just buy things like messed with shells in good condition there for the most part.

Also, I think this song is rather fitting to this situation

YouTube

Luis

So, 3 days to go and Brad’s ‘M38?’ has now reached nearly $900US with 21 bidders. You can see why people get turned off the hobby when this sort of thing is allowed to happen.

Where to from here now? Can Brad’s account be flagged somehow? Makes me sad that some poor collector will spend all of those $$ only to realise down the track their M38 is worthless.

Such a shame.

M38 Review Request - From a Collection what do you all think?

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast