Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for some professional opinions on my new Fallschirmschützenabzeichen-der-Luftwaffe-award.

Article about: Just ordered this Fallschirmschützenabzeichen online from a German shop online. (picture 1 , photo is downloaded from the seller advertisement, with the swastika crossed black) I would appr

?

Default Looking for some professional opinions on my new Fallschirmschützenabzeichen-der-Luftwaffe-award.

Just ordered this Fallschirmschützenabzeichen online from a German shop online. (picture 1 , photo is downloaded from the seller advertisement, with the swastika crossed black)

I would appreciate some professional opinions about it.

Received it today and started to polish it a little bit. Now It's already started looking 10 times better & shiny. When I'm done, I shall upload a new picture of the end-result (think you probably won't believe it's really the same)

The 2nd picture (blue box background) is downloaded from this forum. It was posted as an example of how the original should like like. I compared mine with picture nr 2, holding it next to the screen, but couldn't find any differences.

Looking forward to the lessons in details, thanks...

(btw, yes, I already noticed it has a part missing at the bottom of the backside...)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Looking for some professional opinions on my new Fallschirmschützenabzeichen-der-Luftwaffe-award.   Looking for some professional opinions on my new Fallschirmschützenabzeichen-der-Luftwaffe-award.  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Looking for some professional opinions on my new Fallschirmschützenabzeichen-der-Luftwaffe-award.
    P
    Many

?

First of all - STOP POLISHING THE BADGE!

NEVER POLISH YOUR BADGES.

You will ruin them and wipe value. It's a piece of history that you are responsible for, it's not a piece of bling. Look around the forum, no one ever polishes their awards.

Secondly, you will need to post proper photos of your badge. The ones from the seller are not good quality.
    The hinge and pin are replacements for a start and there are several other things that need to be looked at.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I have to agree with Adrian, a gentle cleaning sometimes, but polishing is a no-no.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

?

Adrian, Ralph, Thank you for the advice about polishing. Never heard that before, never looked at it that way either.

Making it look the same as in the '40's, how it was when the proud owner was wearing it, seemed like a natural thing to do. (like restoring a classic car or Harley-Davidson, f.e.)

I will send better detailed pictures tomorrow, when my girlfriend is awake (don't have a smartphone or digital camera myself)

?

There are a few things going on with this badge and should you need to return it, if you've polished it or changed it, you might've made an expensive mistake because the dealer may refuse.

It doesn't work like a classic car, look around, badges should be allowed to retain the patina age has built up, it's part of the history behind the piece.
    You wouldn't take a tin of polish to the frame of an Iron Cross that's over 100 years old.
    And if you have a zinc based badge you stand the chance of taking off the fragile finish that is still there.

If you don't know what you're doing, please don't do anything without advice.

Collectors might want mint awards from the period but not cleaned badges. It's completely different and you will wipe value.

Quote by rbminis View Post
    I have to agree with Adrian, a gentle cleaning sometimes, but polishing is a no-no.
    Ralph.
    I agree and I would add that this should be limited to a SOFT dry brush (like a good quality shoe brush or paint brush) to remove dust etc and at most dish soap and cool water to remove anything that might cause corrosion when you don't know how an item has been previously handled. EG, finger grease etc that can etch the finish or the actual metal. Don't even rub the finish let alone polish it!

If in doubt ask here. That is one of the Forum's reasons for being!

BTW, Welcome!

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

?

The more I look at it, the more I would be inclined to get a refund.
    The badge is supposed to be a gilded eagle on a silvered wreath.
    This is the opposite.
    The rivets are massive and look replaced.
    It looks like a parts badge that has been painted.
    I hope better photos are forthcoming.

Quote by Adrian View Post
    The more I look at it, the more I would be inclined to get a refund.
    The badge is supposed to be a gilded eagle on a silvered wreath.
    This is the opposite.
    The rivets are massive and look replaced.
    It looks like a parts badge that has been painted.
    I hope better photos are forthcoming.
    I was a bit curious that the first image is clearly a "Stock image" not something that I would expect from a dealer or a private seller as they by definition would seem very unlikely to show the actual badge offered I didn't look at the other image as the topic of polishing held my attention. However, after Adrian mentioned it I have looked and I agree that the colours look totally wrong so with both points considered I would be very wary of this one.

Regards

Mark
    "War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight, nothing he cares more about than his own personal safety, is a miserable creature with no chance of being free unless made and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself."

I used to use a light microfiber cloth to remove dust from an item. Just try not to scrub too hard. I made a mistake with a bayonet many years ago and managed to remove some of the colouring 😔

Quote by Jochem View Post
    Adrian, Ralph, Thank you for the advice about polishing. Never heard that before, never looked at it that way either.

Making it look the same as in the '40's, how it was when the proud owner was wearing it, seemed like a natural thing to do.
    Here is an example of why you should not polish any of these awards.
    If I were to polish this example, it would lose all of the original finish, and value.
    Panzerkampfabzeichen in Bronze, EWE.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast